Monday, November 28, 2011

Just a few Christmas Projects

Been away for a month or so, and probably not much to post in the next month or two. But I thought I would quickly share what I"ve been working on for Christmas gifts (and some for me). Above is this really fun iron carrier/pressing mat! Folded up it carries your iron. Open it up and you have a portable ironing mat! The pattern is from here.

Then I"ve made a few fancy pin holders. I got these pretty little porcelein dishes at an antique shop. Put power magnets on the bottom and you have a pretty magnetic pin dish! (I need to hot glue the magnets on the bottom yet. But I got the idea online, so just search around you and will probably find some tutorials or examples such as here.





Then I heard about these cool stilletto's at a quilt retreat from a local quilt shop. They are antique small spoons cut off and made into little stilletto's. I tried one at the retreat and let me tell you - it works nice! And feels so good in your hand - and pretty too!



19 comments from wonderful readers:

Janet O. said...

Good to have you back.
What a clever carrier/ironing mat! Those look great!
I love the little magnetized porcelain dish--so pretty!
clever repurposing of old spoons. Where did you get them?

Anonymous said...

I immediately had to go look at the link you shared with regards to that pattern for the iron. That is such a perfect gift for the traveling quilter!!

Rhonda M said...

Love them all! Thanks for the site to the iron keeper pattern. I live really close to an old schoolhouse that has been turned into an antique mall, so I will make a trip there this weekend for some little dishes. I have several quilting friends who will love this for Christmas! I might even be able to find some antique spoons there.

Barb said...

What an interesting stileitso....

Thanks for the link to the iron carries tutorial!

regan said...

These are all great ideas! And really nice gifts, too! Thanks for sharing!

Mary said...

You have been busy. The iron tote is a idea. Love yours. Neat idea for the pin keeps.

Lucy said...

Hi Dawn, so good yo see a post from you. Lovely iron bags!

Lori said...

What a fun post with unique, beautiful and useful items!!

Libby said...

Darling little dishes - what a great idea!

Browndirtcottage said...

Lots of great crafty things going on over here! I.LIKE.

Gypsy Quilter said...

I'm always so inspired by your Christmas gift ideas. Love those little dishes!

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)

Holly @ Hello Audrey Ruth said...

What...nothing to post about?! Your favorite daughter and son-in-law are coming home to visit and you say there is nothing to post about.

*karendianne. said...

Perfect timing. I was thinking of you a couple days ago as I was making a little xmas piece for a family member. Just thinking how you are so good and whipping stuff up like what we see here. I was wishing I was as handy as you are but I was glad I was giving it a go! I like how you inspire me with your work.

…and I'm a stiletto freak so OMG!! where on earth can a girl get these? Probably they're one in a million. Funny, I can use anything… even my seam ripper in a pinch but boy I love my one and only pretty one. I think I'd collect these if I could.

Linda said...

The iron carryall is an awesome gift!!

Karen said...

Those dishes are so pretty.

*karendianne. said...

My friend…. how are you? Thinking about you a lot lately. Tons actually.

MARCIE said...

Oh I love your stilletos! Can you tell me where to find them? You always find such neat projects. And pretty dishes!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Please tell me where to buy one of those stilletos! Email me at orphansofwar@hotmail.com
Thank you!