Saturday, January 02, 2010

Faint of Heart? - Then don't look at this post!!!!!!

OK, as embarrassing as this is, I"m going to show you how I spent my first Saturday of the new year. And before we go any farther - lets all THANK my friend Joan who made this possible. Joan encouraged and folded fabric all day and helped keep me going. Without her I wouldn't have lasted 2 hours. We spent over 6 hours working on my quilt room. I still have a lot to go - but it is just organizing now. We have the major mess taken care of. So here you go - above - the fabric pile. (Don't even ask how it got this way.)

A couple hours into it - progress being made. You can see the floor!

Then we got to building the shelves. Although basically easy, Joan had the height to do the higher ones. I"m a shorty! (See that stuff she put on the top shelf! I may never get it down!)

Go Joan Go!

And finally, some organization! So more to go tomorrow, but for tonight - I"m done for.

And to finish it off one of the 5 blue jays who have been visiting my tree and a bad photo of one of the cardinals.

25 comments from wonderful readers:

SewCalGal said...

You certainly have inspired me. My sewing room is in a similar state. Currently working on trying to organize it. You are so very lucky to have such a dear friend!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Tazzie said...

That certainly did look like a big job Dawn, but you've done amazing things already. You'll be done before you know it and be inspired to sew in your tidy space.
Happy New Year!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Paula said...

Just think, you've made such progress!!! I know how that fabric gets like that. Someone sneaks in at night while we're sleeping and tosses fabric everywhere! So not fair! I can't wait to see your room when it's finished!

Lise said...

wow.. I know that feeling,,,just did that few months ago.. had to paint sewing room then decided to organize the whole thing... it will look awesome... looking forward in seeig the finished room...and love those birds... happy organizing..

Sequana said...

Are those some nice ribbons hanging on the wall there? You must be able to do good work no matter how messy. *S* Are you sure you can still work like that with everything organized?

What a great friend you have....

Jan said...

Give Joan my address please! Thanks for the post, I don't feel that bad about my room now. LOL

Scrappy-Quilter said...

what a great friend to help you start your organizing. I believe you are going to enjoy your new shelves. Any bit of progress is PROGRESS just the same. A step in the right direction. I am slowly getting there too. It's a chore.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the work and organizing. My daughter is a professional organizer. She does wonders with messes, and one time cleaned up my sewing room and mess. Wow, it was such a relief...so I know how you feel. Everything takes time, so stick with your plans.

Maggie A said...

What a lovely friend.

Taryn said...

Go Joan go! What a friend. You are a brave and honest woman to show your pile of fabric.

Julia said...

What a great friend to have in Joan,,
it doesn't take me much to get in a mess too..A new year, a new clean sewing room to create.
Julia ♥

Behind My Picket Fence said...

Wow! You have made so much progress on your sewing room. It will be so lovely, that you may not be able to sew but just sit & admire it instead! LOL I totally love your bird pictures. I have bluejays but try as I might, can't find a cardinal willing to visit.

Libby said...

Ooohh - do you wanna come help me get organized? Most everything is still in boxes here. I'm anxious to get stitchin' *s*

Anonymous said...

You will enjoy the newly organized fabric and the room, I'm sure. I spent a weekend once re-folding my stash and I agree it was tiring. It looks so nice now and I can easily find what I need.

*karendianne. said...

Don't even ask you how it got this way? Okay, I wont because I just love that fact that you shared something REAL and I think it brings in the New Year with a blast!!! Just my thought. Warmly and with much fun in the Quilt Room, *karendianne.

Paula, the quilter said...

Joan is a sweet friend. I keep a two step step-stool in my room to reach the higher areas. That way nothing come tumbling down on my head. Keep on.

Holly @ Hello Audrey Ruth said...

Wow!! I want more pictures of it finished!! And, while you are at it, can I have some pictures of the clean barn? I forgot to look when I was home and really want to see what it looks like.

SubeeSews said...

I would have loved to have helped you. That pile really set my fingers drumming...I wanted to touch all your lovely browns and rusts.
I do not have piles...just tons of containers. Periodically I go through the containers and have a trip down memory lane.
So many cotainers now I cannot get to my quilt frame! You are so brave to post your "before" pictures.
XOXO Subee

Barb said...

Just think, once it is all done you will be able to see all your wonderful fabric!!

MARCIE said...

I always say that seeing the floor is very good progress! Thanks for showing us what a REAL sewing room looks like! Clean is good tho, I need to try that someday myself.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

You gotta lotta fabric girl! :) I love organizing and playing around in my sewing room - the best part of reorganizing is discovering those little bits of fabric you loved and then forgot about. :)

Lissa Jane said...

Oh if I lived closer to you, I'd LOVE to come and rediscover treasures with you.. all those yummy fabrics just waiting to be fondled.... I have actually done this for a friend, but she only had a very small stash.. I LOVE fondling fabric :O)

Lissa
Australia

Karen said...

Oh, how I would have loved to help you fold all that fabric and organize. It is always fun to go through someone else's fabric stash!

heather said...

call me crazy but i think that looks like fun! i love helping other people organize their sewing rooms! {keywords: other people}
i am very inspired now!

Jenni said...

Ha ha! I've got a similiar thing going on on the kitchen table!