Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Another Christmas gift almost ready!

Above is another Christmas gift almost ready! All I need to do is sew down the binding on the back! This was the mystery quilt Laura organized at camp this fall. I have until Christmas to get that done so it shouldn't be a problem.

I"m currently reading "Sarah's Quilt" by Nancy E. Turner. It took me a bit to get "into character" but once I was - I was hooked! I'm really enjoying it! Of course I have no idea what Sarah's Quilt has to do with the story YET! And I see there is a follow-up book out this month to it, I can't wait to get it! That one is called "The Star Garden". (Hmm, looks like there was a book that comes before Sarah's Quilt too).

Anyway, as I was reading I came across a passage that I really loved. (By the way - is that not just the cutest picture above!)

Pulling down a quilt is like opening a package. All you see is the white
underneath, and then as soon as you get it down, there are all the colors.

Just think of all the images, designs and feelings those words bring to you! And all the thoughts of quilts made by hand in small houses by lamp light. Making quilts for warmth and comfort. Quilting out of scaps for necessity, and quilting bees as social gatherings. Can you imagine HAVING to make a quilt and finding time to do it in order to stay warm. Its probably why I love antique utilitarian quilts so much!

What more is there to say!


26 comments from wonderful readers:

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Your quilting is as gorgeous as usual.....adored the old quilting bee pics, tracey

SuBee said...

What a nice, nice entry tonight - thank you. I love those pictures, and the quilting on your mystery quilt is fantastic.
**VBS**

antique quilter said...

I love those pictures Dawn! where did you find them?
Laura did a wonderful job with that quilt pattern......make sure you tell her!.....I just love that. ok, so I love stars :) I need this quilt
the quilting is beautiful....so can I be added to your christmas list?
How big is this quilt?
Kathie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for mentioning those books! When looking them up I also found a couple of other authors I think will be interesting. Looking forward to some fresh reading!

Libby said...

Dawn - it's another beauty of a quilt . . . how can I get on your gift list *S*
I just checked my library - they have the book. Looks like I'll be making a trip to pick it up.

Darlene said...

Love the quilt - the quilting pattern is one of my favorites (Spin)

The pictures are wonderful - I often dream of being able to participate in a true quilting bee. Being able to sit around a quilting frame with friends and just enjoying the day. Another meaning of BLISS.

I must find that series of books! Thanks for sharing.

Leslie said...

I love quilting bee pictures and have a few of my own, not color like those though. Where did you find them??

Diane said...

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos. The quilting on your mystery is gorgeous. Did you do it yourself?

Thimbleanna said...

Holee Shamolee! I love that star quilt -- very pretty!!!

Patty said...

very pretty, I like the colors
You are so good at getting projects done !

Unknown said...

Wow did you quilt this one, it is so beautiful? I see I have a lot to learn about the quilting part.

Unknown said...

Loved the old quilting bee pictures - thanks for sharing and your sawtooth star quilt is lovely Dawn :o)

corry said...

I love the pictures, Thanks for sharing! I wish I could sit at a quilting bee and quilt, talk, and drink tea together. That must be fantastic!

Jennifer said...

Great pics! And the quilt is so pretty. Love the quilting you did in the background!

I've got "Sarah's Quilt" and the first one "These Is My Words" on my library shelf, waiting to be read ... they've gotten great reviews, so I'm looking forward to reading them soon.

Lucy said...

I Love the bee picures !!! these days we never have a bee around one quiltframe. It would be fun !!

meggie said...

What a lovely post! Love the idea of the community quilts.

Laura said...

Hey Dawn - love the quilt. Sitting here in sunny Florida catching up with you! I am going to have to look for those books.
Laura

Carole said...

Your quilt is lovely! I like the machine quilting on it! Thanks for sharing!

MARCIE said...

Dawn, you must read These is My Words! That's why Sarah's quilt was hard to get into--the other book came first! It is one of my all time favs! Love all the old quilting bee pictures. And your star quilt AND quilting are great!

Helen in the UK said...

The quilting on this is FABULOUS. Great quilt :)

Susie said...

I just posted about antique quilts on my blog! Then I read yours. I love the women's history surrounding quilting. Those photos are amazing and of course your quilt is beautiful. I will definitely put those books on my short reading list.

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL post and pictures, Dawn ! THANK YOU for the reading, the seeing, and the inspiration.
LOVE your X-mas quilt, too ...

Hugs & smiles,
NADINE

Grazia said...

Wonderful quilt!!!!!
Quilted motifs are great!!!!!
Thank you for posting...
Grazia

julieQ said...

Love those big block quilts!! Yours is lovely, especially with the quilting enhancing it. What a cute little boy!

JulieQ

QuiltMom said...

Hi Dawn,

I loved These is my Words by Nancy E Turner- I haven't got my hands on the second or third title in the series but I am looking forward to reading them. Thanks for sharing.

IF you like reading quilt stories, then there are a great set of mysteries by Earlene Fowler- They are the Benni Harper mysteries. They are an easy and enjoyable read. There are close to 10 books in the series now.

I have also read some books by Sandra Dallas- "The Persian Pickle Club," and The Chili Queen are two of her titles.

Regards from a Western Canadian Quilter,
Anna

Sarah said...

Your star quilt looks just like the ones me and Nina made a year ago for our Quilts of Valor. Such an easy and quick pattern! Here is the link to the post about my quilt.

http://alwayswantstobequilting.blogspot.com/2006/06/home-again-home-again_30.html

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures.