Sunday, November 25, 2007

Follow the Drinking Gourd...

A friend of mine in my Monday night sewing group starting making the pattern "Follow the Drinking Gourd" by Barbara Brackman a few weeks ago. She emailed me to see if I had any dark blues and butternut colored reproduction like fabrics she could have to give her quilt more variety. It made me realize how many browns I have and how few dark blues! But I fell in LOVE with the picture of her quilt in progress and picked up a few blues to share and she in return shared some of her blues so I could make my own version! The pattern is 15" blocks, but she sized them down to 12". She also figured out the sizes for an 8" version. Well I decided I was going to do the 8" version. So above are my 6 blocks so far. Not too bad considering I really didn't sew to much this week with the girls home.

We had a great Thanksgiving and had a lot of fun. Of course we did some shopping, mostly for stuff for them! And we went out to eat and to a movie "Dan in Real Life" with Mark's sisters. That was a great time. Now I"m sitting home just kind of sad and lonely. I always have this big let-down when they are gone. I miss them already.

I found out that Gypsy Quilter gave me the Community Blogger Award! Now how nice is that! Picture from The Sadie Peterson Delaney African Roots Library.

"The Community Blog Award celebrates people who reach out and makes the blogger community a better one."

In turn, I get to pass this on to 3 folks - this is always the really tough part for me. There are so very many blogs I could choose! So don't feel bad if I didn't choose you this time, because there is no way I could list everyone!

Lucy at Quilting with the Past - Lucy is so very talented and sweet. And this week I received a special envelope with some vintage dutch mourning fabric for a secret project I'm working on right now. It is so perfect and I would be so lost without her friendship and support.

Laura from Pine Ridge Quilter - Laura is another of those friends you can't do without. I"m lucky enough to know Laura in person and she is always there for me when I need a shoulder to cry on and a sounding board for my quilting. My trips to go visit her are my highlights throughout the year.

Nancy at Tom Miner Folk Art - I"ve been online with Nancy since it seems the beginning of time. Nancy does wonderful folk art quilting and live in the middle of nowhere Montana. Oh I envy her house and area! She always has some great story about her husband Jim and his follies! It keeps me laughing!

16 comments from wonderful readers:

atet said...

Lovely blocks and a well deserved reward! I can understand what you mean about your girls being gone -- but just think, in a few more weeks they will be home for a whole month!

Dianne said...

Oh, Dawn, the blocks are really gorgeous! Do you know yet how you will set them?

Anne Ida said...

Your blocks looks wonderful, Dawn! Wonder how you will set them - guess I'll have to keep my eye out for future posts *lol*. Congratulations on the award!

Susie said...

Love those blues and butternut. Don't you just love the name "butternut". I will have to look up that pattern. Do the blocks get sashing or are they just sewn together to get that secondary pattern?
PS. Empty nest does get easier especially when you see how your kids grow and become responsible, independent adults.

Libby said...

Oh boy - those are some wonderful blocks, Dawn *s* Easy to see how you could just be pulled right in to making some. Congrats on receiving the award.

MARCIE said...

Love those Drinking Gourd blocks! I have that book and love the stuff in it. Never enough time for all that we want to do! You seem to get so much done! I love looking!

Floss said...

The blocks are great, I can see why you wanted to make them after seeing your friend's blocks.

CONNIE W said...

I missed out on buying the Butternut and Blue fabrics. By the time I noticed them, they had been discontinued. They make such a beautiful combination, don't they. Happy stitching.

Anonymous said...

Funny to see this block twice today ! I didn't know it and one of the girls from the club showed us what will be the next collective quilt... this one... but in blue and white... but I prefer your versions !!

Unknown said...

That is going to be gorgeous, I just love it.

meggie said...

Those blocks are lovely!!

Unknown said...

Love these blocks - I have cart loads of dark blues if you want some - Blues feature more than any other colour in my stash by a long way

Carol said...

Dawn those blocks are wonderful!

Laura said...

Wow, thank you very much!!!!

I love your blocks. I have the Butternut and Blue book and always wanted to make a quilt in those colors.
I know how you feel in missing your girls. I am so glad they were both able to come home and spend the weekend with you. I can't wait to see more of this quilt!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

The blocks are fabulous!! Anything with 4 patches in it is right along the line of my favorite things!

Bonnie

Nancy in MT said...

Well,good thing I finally found time to check your Blog, thank you so much. As usual your next quilt is beautiful.