Monday, August 21, 2006

The top is done!

My flying geese quilt top is done! Now to get it quilted! What fun it was to do just a quick no-think project! I need these every once in awhile! I even got it sandwiched together last night ready for quilting!

All 4 kids started school today. My youngest is a freshman in HS but she didn't seem to concerned, and certainly not excited - she is my "school is boring" child. Her dream is to move to Alaska and raise sled dogs. And if she can't do that she wants to move out west and live on a farm!

But the funniest thing is Adam called me at about 10:30 central time, 11:30 eastern where he is and said - "Mom, can you look up something for me". I said sure what. "Can you find out what class I'm suppose to be in right now!" He is a freshmen at Purdue and today was the first day of classes. I told him to print off his schedule and and a map and just hide it in his backpack just in case. Well no - that wasn't cool - so he calls and makes me log in to his account at Purdue to look up his class schedule! After I tell him what building and room he says - "Oh, so that is why no one is in this room!"! Geez. But at least he is going to classes, for him that is a step, not that he hates school, but he is kind of quiet and not real adventurous - Not knowing where to go is a big deal for him. He even made Holly meet him sometime today to take him to one of his classes they hadn't found yet! So at least he is making it through his first day! Tomorrow he has no classes so he can recover!

15 comments from wonderful readers:

Libby said...

Your quilt looks great. What size are your geese?
I have just been chuckling over the advertures of your college student.

sewprimitive karen said...

Pretty clever of Adam to call you. And your youngest. People who have dreams like that often follow through; I have a friend who went directly to Vermont the day after high school graduation to work on a rural farm with no utilities, the whole 19th century thing and she has done that to this day.

Patti said...

Too too funny Dawn! So it's not "cool" to carry a copy of your schedule. I would have been lost - I think I checked mine at least a dozen times a day the first week, as I was so afraid I'd miss a class accidentally!

Patti said...

PS - the flying geese quilt is wonderful - of course!

quiltpixie said...

while he might not remember where he's supposed to be, at least he knows how to get the information! :-)

ForestJane said...

I wonder if he'd think a little GPS locater would be more cool than a map? lol

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Gosh - school sure does start early. When I went to school it never started until after Labor Day!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Darlene said...

Soon your son will be a "pro" be assisting others. :-)

Love that quilt with the flying geese - it's darling!

Tazzie said...

Great job on your quilt, I just love it! What a great Mum (or Mom) you are *vbs*
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Unknown said...

That quilt top is gorgeous - it looks almost illuminated - love the fabric choices and combination

Lily Mulholland said...

Ooh well done Dawn. Flying geese! Super-speedy you are too. Puts me to shame :)

Adam should know that I would give my right arm to go to Purdue!

Or to Alaska to raise sled dogs. Now that's a 'cool' idea!!

McIrish Annie said...

Dawn, just caught up on your blog.boy, people have been busy while I was gone!! love the FG quilt. glad to hear Adam is adjusting to college life. My son leaves next week. this weekend will be "empty mom's bank account" at Walmart, etc.

will have vacation pics on my blog tomorrow...

Darcie said...

Sweet flying geese. The stars make a very nice addition.

I'm so glad Adam has a sis to look up to and to help him out of a bind once in awhile.

Today was the first day of our son's senior year in high school. Bittersweet.

Judy said...

Very nice quilt Dawn! Your son will find his classes, he just needs to get some gumpshion and he'll get used to it. Our school doesn't start until after labor day, so it's odd to hear about kids already in school!

dot said...

I really like this quilt. LOve the simplicity and color combination. Great job.