Saturday, August 26, 2006

Welcome to my house

OK, first let me clarify - my house is VERY LIVED in and not house beautiful! And I don't have much decorations because Mark likes things very plain and comfy. So mostly my decorations are my quilts.

Above is my "Taste of Jane" quilt. This is just as you enter the front door. Right now I have Jane hanging there, but I do swap out that spot for different times of the year or whatever I feel like at the time! If you go straight ahead you go into the kitchen and just before the kitchen is a short hallway that has our bedroom and then back towards the front of the house a laundry room and then into our garage.
As you walk into the house and go left you walk into our living room. Going into our living room to your left again (so kind of next to the front door) I have my rocking chair I rocked my babies in when they were young. I keep this cute basket quilt on it that my best quilting buddy bought for me at a quilt garage sale. I had fallen in love with it but just couldn't spend the money. She snuck it out of the sale and kept it for a surprise xmas gift! So that quilt stays right there all the time!
Then coming into the living room to your right and then facing the front hallway I have my very first applique quilt and very first hand quilted quilt! I keep this one in that spot all the time, I just love it. And a small peak at my current hand quilting quilt. I've had several of you ask before to see it. I"m just going to make you wait a bit. It is the only thing that keeps me working on it! I do owe you some pictures of the sections I have done though. So I promise I'll do that soon.

Once again walking into my living room straight ahead you see my new wall quilt hanger I bought with some money my mom gave me for my birthday last Feb. I can either hang quilts with a sleeve on it (the rod comes out) or just fold quilts like I"ve done here. It is amish made and I just LOVE it! The quilt on the left I made at a quilt retreat a few years ago and is called Spanish Olives because of the colors! And the quilt to the right was from a different retreat but was a mystery class so I had no idea how it was going to turn out! Darn, I should have taken a picture of the quilting on that one - it is my favorite quilting job - it is dense and so cool.

And as I'm typing this I realized I should get a shot of the outside. Maybe I'll grab one tomorrow for you. Too dark now!

I"m playing away this weekend, so I"m hoping to have some fun play pictures for you this week. We will see. I taught punch needle today at the LQS so that cut into my sewing time. I"m hoping I have more time tomorrow.

12 comments from wonderful readers:

Leah Spencer said...

I really like the Amish made quilt hanger. I'm afraid of making any holes into my apartment wall and cutting into our deposit refund. Heh, well, I did hang up my warm and natural batting for my design wall - well used! :)

Melzie said...

You have some very pretty quilts in your home. My home is "lived in" also :) Thanks for the peek into your home! xoxo melzie

quiltpixie said...

what a great garage sale find/christmas present...

Libby said...

Lived-in homes are usually the most comfy and welcoming. And those decorated with quilts are the best *s*

Darlene said...

Nothing wrong with a lived in home! Thanks for sharing yours. I'm constantly apologizing for the condition of my home and one day my DH looked at me and said we're very active in our home so of course it's going to look lived in. That made me feel so good :-)

Tazzie said...

Thank you for sharing your home with us Dawn, it's super fun having a peek into other peoples lives. Your home looks great to me, the best homes are lived in, noone wants a show-home where you can't feel comfortable.
You have some wonderful quilts ... just lovely!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

ForestJane said...

Thanks for the virtual home tour! I love the ways you've displayed your quilts - I need to make some specifically to match rooms, so I can do that. :)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great tour - thanks for sharing! I especially love your quilt rack and Spanish Olives! I should get better at displaying some of my quilts...

Cheers!

Evelyn

Carolyn said...

What a beautiful, welcoming home you have! I love your quilt hanger...I've been looking for something similar for my family room. All of your quilts are lovely and I can't wait to see the applique, hand quilted one finished. I have an applique quilt that I should hand quilt...maybe that should be my winter project!

Carolyn

Tonya Ricucci said...

Thanks for the tour! Our house is comfy and well-lived in too, just not plain. Love that quilt rack. Look forward to seeing more of the quilts in full. Have fun playing!

Cher said...

what a fun tour of your quilt decorated home-it looks great and welcoming.

Lucy said...

I love to see more of your house with the quilts .. I america I bought some amazing magazines and in one you can see so many antique quilts displayed. I try to make a scan for you today ....