Sunday, March 09, 2008

Where to Start

I have so much to show you! So I guess I"ll just share some today and the rest later. Yesterday was my class with Kathleen Tracy and the Broken Dishes quilt from her Prairie Children and their Quilts book. It was so much fun! Kathy is so down to earth and not a perfectionist - I liked that. You can tell she really loves those old diaries of women back on the prairie and making these quilts for fun and enjoyment, not prize winning. That made it so much fun. While we sewed she read to us some passages of a series of books "Covered Wagon Women" that the author Kenneth Holmes had collected and published old diaries of women from the wagon trail. It was so interesting.

She also mentioned she is thinking of starting an online group and and an online doll quilt club type thing. She was wondering if there was interest in such a thing and I said I know several people who would probably love it! So keep an open for it on her web site if you think you would like to do it.

So here is my finished top! It had a different border fabric, but Kathy had brought this homespun with and I really liked the way that looked instead of the print from the kit - so I used this! And I threw in the tan/brown checked fabric to give it a bit more brownish tint. I"m really happy with it!

And here is what I made from all the little scraps of fabric from the kit! Adorable isn't it!

And here is a new batch of Civil War Blocks! I still have many more to go to catch up with this week! But at least I"ve made progress!

22 comments from wonderful readers:

antique quilter said...

glad you enjoyed your class.LOVE the left over quilt, it is wonderful.
I agree I really like the border you used.
I am going to have to see if the library has that book I would love to read it.
Your blocks are great!
you ARE making progress!
good for you
Kathie

Libby said...

Well, I suppose you already guessed that I would LOVE to play along. Sounds like a fantastic day. I particularly like the reading aloud . . . more than my cuppa *s*

Karen said...

what a wonderful way to spend a day. I own both those books and would love the opportunity to meet Kathleen Tracy! I hope she does decide to do an online club!! I'm in...
your projects are just darling! Oh to get into the sewing room again...been down with the flu for just over a week and I'm going crazy!

Paula said...

I like the little leftover quilt just as much as the other! Sounds like a fun time...I am really loving little doll quilts right now!

MARCIE said...

Oh do I recognize the center of your CW block from the Wmburg line? Such fun blocks. And your Broken Dishes is wonderful and your little scraps all used up. You must be feeling very efficient!

Unknown said...

You can make many many quilts always out of scraps. Great quilts.

Anonymous said...

I love your little quilt. Funny thing is I have her first book on its way to me already. Now I am looking forward to receiving it even more. Tracy

atet said...

Oh what fun that workshop must have been! I love your little quilt, now I'm really dying to try out some of the quilts in the American Doll Quilt book. Those CW blocks are lovely as well -- and I'm sure you'll "catch up" quickly :0).

Lucy said...

You made adorable mini quilts. And I'm so YEALOUS that you met Tracy!!! Next I will be there too :-)

YankeeQuilter said...

I love how your quilts just keep going and going...even scraps from doll quilts make more doll quilts!

Needle, Thimble and Thread said...

Your quilts are very sweet. The borders are wonderful. I will watch her site and would love to quilt along one some of her quilts.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

The class would have been great, I am fascinated by the prairie women...bought up on Laura Ingalls books and TV I guess.
Love the pincushion, how does it stay there? Tracey

Carol said...

What a great class...keep us posted on the online group...sounds like lots of fun. Love those little quilts. Your Civil War blocks are awesome...I need to get caught up.

Beth said...

I love your tops! I cannot believe the top what you made from scraps. You have alot of talent. It sounds like a wonderful class.

Finn said...

Hi Dawn, what fun! Having a class from Kathleen must have been heaven *VBS* I just showed my little version of the broken dishes quilt from here Prairie Children book a few days ago. Mine still lacks borders, but that's normal for me. Keep auditioning fabrics trying to find just the right one.
I've got the Bear Paw cut out and ready to sew. Doll quilts are such fun to make. An online class with her would be wonderful, I have goth books. Hugs, Finn

Jenny in Belgium said...

Hi Dawn,
Lucky girl, I would love to meet kathleen and take a class with her. I have just bought the first three of the Covered Wagon books - there are 11 apparently - and I am enjoying them very much so far.
happy quilting
Jenny in Belgium

Judy said...

Sounds like a fantastic day Dawn...love the blocks and the quilt!

Carin said...

Beautiful work!

*karendianne. said...

Oh my gosh there's so much yummy stuff here I can hardly figure out where to start. I'm loving the civil war block on the bottom right. Yuuummm. And I'm completely impressed with what you whipped up out of those scraps from your lovely broken dishes piece. You're just makin' it happen!

I'm so glad I stopped in. ;)

Wendy said...

What a treat to take a class with Kathleen. I love her doll quilts and would be interested in a online club.
You work wonders with your scraps...I love it.

Lea said...

No wonder why you are so busy!*S* Ahhhhhuuu, I love your doll quilts!!!!!!!!!!! Both of looks SO beautiful!!!!!!!

Stina Blomgren said...

Me too..I love thoose dollquilts!!!
Been planning to buy that book for some time now...Now seems to be the right moment!!