Friday, October 14, 2005

Quilt for Darcie - well kinda


OK, so this quilt doesn't exactly maybe look like a Darcie quilt. And I'm not sure if she appliques - but her hawk pictures made me think of this quilt. And why I have no idea because folk art crows are not at all like hawks! But what the heck! Since I haven't made much progress lately in quilting might as well post this quilt I made last winter on a whim! I love it.

But I did treat myself last night to this awesome chocolate/oatmeal dessert and hand quilted with my frame on my fall moon! So that made me happy! I got this recipe in a shop newsletter yesterday and decided I had to try it. Oh my GOSH - it is to die for - but you have to eat it warm for the full effect!

Oh - and sorry Darcie - guess this isn't going to help your weight gain whineing is it?

Choc-in Oatmeal Bars

Blend 3/4 cup butter or margarine, 1 cup brown sugar (packed) and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal. Press 2/3 into an ungreased 9 x 13 pan.

Heat 1 can condensed milk with 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup nuts. When warm, spread over mixture in pan. Top with remaining crumbs and press lightly.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven until lightly browned. Cut while still warm. Enjoy!

2 comments from wonderful readers:

Finn said...

Awesome quilt Dawn, is that one of the Red Wagon patterns?? Kind of looks like her crows...*S* I LOVE CROWS! Maybe because they are so naughty...LOL..and so smart.
The recipe looks good too. I don't have the sweetened cond. milk, but I know where I can get some...*VBG* Gotta try it now.

Darcie said...

LOL! Oh good heavens, Dawn! I'm going to have to run an extra 20 minutes or so in the morning...just to burn off the calories from READING your delicious recipe!!! ;-) Yumm-O!

I love your quilt...thanks! I'll be expecting it in the mail...soon? LOL ;-) Just kidding.

I haven't appliqued in a long while. Hmmm. Perhaps I feel an inspiration coming on....

I used to swear by hand blanket stitch. I loved doing it way-back-when. And in about '97 or so, I purchased (well, hubby did!) a Pfaff that makes a beautiful blanket stitch! I never looked back!

I haven't tried hand applique...but keep saying that I need to grow up and figure it out. I just dislike the practice thing...want to be good like right now!

My hawk...he's kind of a "pet," so to speak.... He is so big...and he's been seen in our tiny (half dead!) apple tree. I just had to "capture" ('scuze the pun) him in my cottonwood!

Darcie