Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The 3 Tenors.... no wait ... Santa's

Long, long ago Finn posted a picture of a Father Christmas quilt she was working on. I fell in LOVE with it. I had to make it! I asked her what the pattern was, and she no longer had it as it was an old, old pattern and she had actually made the blocks long ago - just never finished them!
So she was kind of enough to get me a straight on shot of the santa's and I drew my own templates, and freezer paper pieced him! I have one more to go. Isn't he adorable! (Oh and I changed the shapes a bit to make it easier to piece! Easy is my name, sewing is my game!)

I have to figure out now how to set them. I'm thinking of a chain of green and white around and inbetween the blocks and then more blue snowflake fabric on the border? Any other ideas? The strip I have laying on them right now was left over from another project so I was just trying to get an idea how it would look.

Thank you Finn for sharing them with us! I can't wait to see your top done!

9 comments from wonderful readers:

quiltpixie said...

I love the red fabrics you've choosen. They are so rustic

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Very cute! I like the snowflake night sky - it is a perfect background!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Melanie said...

You are too smart.. when there's a will..I love them. But I'm one of those sickening people that love Christmas 365 days a year. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Melanie

Juliann in WA said...

what fun little santas - and a great head start for you!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Love your santas. For me, that checkerboard bit you're auditioning is too eye-catching and detracts from the marvelous figures. Personally, I'd go for something more muted. Maybe beige and green?

Darcie said...

These guys are great, Dawn! I know you'll make them into something terrific when you do choose your background. Can't wait to see!

Finn said...

Moring Dawn, I am SOOOOOO impressed!! You have done a fantastic job with the Father Christmas. They look wonderful!! *VBS* And I think straightening out that face into beard piece was brillant!
The trouble with these very old template patterns is that they seem to do everything the hard way. None of the triangle in that pattern are just straight forward piecing.

I had to link back and see mine, and then see yours, and then see mine..LOL. My love of clear colors is pretty evident. You've got the vintage tones and muddier colors...the ones that I'm going to be struggling with as I begin the Civil War Diary quilt...*VBS* Hugs for such a good friend, Finn

Darlene said...

cute, cute, cute - I can't wait to see how you decide to set these guys. The 3 Tenors - LOL

Helen in the UK said...

Love your santas - any chance you could share your new paperpieced version? thebaileyhouse@tiscali.co.uk