Thursday, July 06, 2006

I"m so sorry. I miss you all!

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm so sorry I haven't been around to visit lately. I'm just going through one of those slumps where I just can't keep up with everything, so I just don't find time to come visit your blogs. So please know I"m around and ok - and I'm going to be visiting even if I don't leave a comment! I have several HUGE projects due at work, and then 4 teenagers with summer "stuff"! Say nothing about the new dog!

I did find time this weekend to work on the next month of my primitive house quilt. I finished month 2 and got it added to month 1! Doesn't it look fun! Now to find time to work on the 200 other projects I need to get done! Well ok, it feels like 200 anyway!


For those of you working on the Nearly Insane quilt by Liz Lois - guess what! She spoke at our guild last night (she is the one on your right in the pictures above) and I got to see it in person last night! I took as many pictures as I could, but I ran out of time to take a lot. some of the blocks have so many pieces in that 6" block! She said she pieced all the blocks regularly by machine - no paper piecing! I think some blocks have over 200 pieces in the 6" square! She also said that some antique dealers who had seen the original antique quilt said hers was an excellent reproduction of the original - and poor Liz is still waiting to see the original! It is owned by an older couple and she has never gotten to see it. She hopes someday it will be in a museum where she can see it. So here are a few up close pics of the blocks for you to enjoy.







15 comments from wonderful readers:

Melanie said...

Don't be stressing...I think you've got your priorities straight. I love your block of the month. Remember I asked about it earlier??? It's a little $$$ considering all the projects on the 'list' now. But one day... and maybe it'll come out in a book. Enjoy your summer..They are so busy. Maybe it'll make us appreciate winter.

Melanie

Unknown said...

I love your primitive houses - I have a real soft spot for amish/shaker designs like that - I've done quite a few 'Told in the Garden' Amish cross stitch designs. That 'Nearly Insane' quilt is an absolute nightmare to someone like me who is allergic to piecing - give me a complex Baltimore Beauty any day - it is gorgeous though - more than i could ever aspire to - have to say though I'm not sure i could live with those bright pinks and yellows - but I suppose you'd have to have some strong contrasts to even make out the complexities of the patterns - Gulp!

Laura said...

Love the houses! And your guild gets the best speakers. I hope you realize how lucky you are!

I am trying to catch up on blogs also! I know all about life!

Finn said...

Hi Dawn, it's ok. We understand how much you have to do..*VBS* The quilt shown at your guild is just amazing, isn't it?? I can't even imagine 200 pieces in 6". I think 60 or 70 in 12" is pretty darn good!
I think Bonnie is making this quilt also.

Judy said...

YIKES! those are the most elaborate 6 inch blocks I've ever seen!!

Don't worry about commenting. I know you are around!

Lucy said...

Dawn, Thank you so much for the pictures from teh nearly insane !! This quilkt is absolutly a thrill.. You were lucky to see it.

Leah Spencer said...

Don't worry about being extra busy... I feel too busy these days too. Visiting blogs hasn't been a steady thing for me either. Hopefully things will calm down in August. :)

KC Quilter said...

I am LOVING your primitive house quilt!!! Is this your design? It is wonderful---my cup o'tea.

Darlene said...

I love your primitive house quilt also. It looks like it would be alot of fun to do.

Joanne said...

I love your primitive houses. Are they in a book?
Don't stress about the comments -- I read a lot of blogs and don't have time to leave comments as often as I should, either.

ForestJane said...

Wow, that's a lot of pieces in a 6 inch block! I can totally admire a quilt like that without EVER wanting to do one myself... :)

Darcie said...

Love the blocks to your prim houses quilt, Dawn. And the extra blocks are so fitting too.

I really don't think that it's a Nearly Insane quilt at all. More like TOTALLY INSANE! LOL It really is lovely! WOW!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I agree with Laura - your guild really does get great speakers. Wow. Sorry you've been so busy. Hope things calm down soon.

Jeanne said...

Oh Dawn,I'm soooo far behind on blog reading it isn't even funny! :(
Congrats on your new dog -- she looks like a sweetie! Are the prim houses your own original design? I really like the looks of those blocks!!

Jeanne

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh my god I would go mad trying to make that quilt! Hey don't worry we all fall behind from time to time. I go back to work in three weeks so I know I'm going to miss a lot on everyone's blogs. Not much any of us can do about that. What a shame our lives keep getting in the way of quilting!!