Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Winterberries Quilt Top Done!

I did it! I finished my Winterberries quilt top in one week!

Now just to quilt it! :) Don't you just love that border fabric! I have to go back to the store and get more of that fabric!

A couple of people asked if I hand applique'd it or machine appliqued it. This one I did my version of invisible machine applique. You didn't think I really could hand applique that fast did you! This particular one I did with a product called Stable Magic for Applique. It is this paper you trace the designs on, glue stick onto the back of your fabric, cut out around the shape with the seam allowance. Then glue stick the seam allowance onto the back of the paper, glue on the background and then I do a small zig-zag stitch (1 length, 1 width) around it in matching thread. You don't need to cut the back out and pull the paper out. Once the quilt is quilted, you agitate it in the washing machine and the fibers in the paper float away! it just leave this fine soft cotton layer inside. I heard about this in Paducah so had to try it!

I love invisible machine applique because it looks like needle turn (well unless you are up close really looking at it), but I hate pulling the freezer paper out the back. So this solves it all! It is great for quick fun pieces like this that I just want to make but don't need heirloom quality - projects I just want to have fun with!

I got it sandwiched last night and grid work marked in the background last night at my small quilt group, so next week I will quilt it. Why not quilt it this week and weekend? My yearly Rockford retreat is this weekend! I can't wait for a few days away to sew, sew, sew! So I need to get busy and cut my pre-cutting and pre-sewing done before Friday morning! This year I took the mystery quilt, so I can't show you what I'm making yet! But I'll try and snap a picture of the thousands of pieces I have to cut!

Speaking of mysteries, remember I"m doing that mystery quilt for our guild? Well we are on month 3 of 5 months. I don't think I shared my pieces so far with you. I got to see one members blocks/pieces so far last night and I love what she has done! I can't wait to see it done! Anyway, here are pics of months 2 and 3.

9 comments from wonderful readers:

McIrish Annie said...

Dawn, this is great!! and sewww fast!! thanks for the tip on the stable magic. i HATE ripping out the paper and usually avoid applique because of it. Enjoy your retreat this weekend!!! I am jealous. Our retreat is still six months away. My guild does a retreat at a B&B in Rhode Island on the weekend of the Super Bowl. We just stock the fridge and the DHs don't even know we are gone!!

Is that a thimble berries pattern??

quiltpixie said...

the border fabric is great. I ca see why you'd want more in your stash...

Melanie said...

I love the mystery quilt fabrics - they my favorite colors for quilting, the old-fashioned ones.

Melanie

Finn said...

The WInterberries quilt looks wonderful Dawn!! And yes, I do love the border fabric...and is that inner border a fabric or pieced??? It's gorgeous either way!

Have a wonderful time at your retreat!! I look forward to pictures.

KC Quilter said...

Oh, Dawn, that Winterberries Quilt is so gorgeous! And, yes, the border fabric is perfect. Thanks for the tip on Stable Magic, too. I have not heard of that one yet. I do most of my applique by machine anymore.

kim said...

The Winterberries quilt is beautiful! I love the colors. I'm glad you mentioned the Stable Magic. I have took a class from Sue Nichols, using the freezer paper, and enjoyed the technique, but like you, hated pulling the paper out. I am excited to try this stable magic- Thanks again!

Cher said...

hurray for you! sounds like a great product for those of not fond of that "a" word :-)

Patti said...

Looks great Dawn! I love the Fig Tree Quilts designs. I need to get some of that Stable Magic to try - maybe then I'd get around to trying invisible machine appliqué again.

ForestJane said...

That really was a quick, cute design!

I'm not much for applique, but that does sound like a fairly painless method to try. :)