Sunday, July 23, 2006

I'm back from a weekend of sewing!

Sorry I kind of dropped off the face of the earth quickly last week. This was the weekend my friend and I always go to a quilt retreat in Rockford and the middle of last week work got frenzied and I was working furiously to get things done so I could still take Friday off and go! I did get enough done that I could go and have a wonderful time and not worry too much! Of course I have a boatload of stuff waiting for me tomorrow!

I was in the mystery class this year, so I had no idea what I was going to make - other than it was 4 fabrics and finished 48" x 48". The teacher who does this class is wonderful and such a riot! She keeps us laughing non-stop and always makes it so much fun. I also knew the mystery was a Debbie Caffery mystery, so it would be a good quilt. The top quilt was the teachers sample - which of course we didn't see until about noon on Saturday after sewing all day Friday and all morning on Saturday. The second picture is mine so far. 2 more borders to go! I have all the blocks made - except one which I lost some pieces somewhere so I'm hoping I find them yet, otherwise I have to make one over!

The antique quilt was another teacher's quilt she recently bought at an estate sale - isn't it awesome! She and her husband do estate sales or something like that, so recently they went to this house to clean it out for a sale and she found this quilt in a barrel in the attic! The man seemed to know his mother made it and didn't want it - he wanted the barrel! So Kay got to buy it and had it appraised. It was made around 1870 and was in spectacular condition. She thinks it has been in the barrel since the family moved to the US and never got unpacked! Man I wish I could find a find like this!
Enjoy the pics, I"ll be back tomorrow to try and catch up on everyone's projects and lives.



11 comments from wonderful readers:

Lucy said...

OOOOHHHHH DDDAAAWWNNNNNNNN
The basketquilt is the most beautifull I ever have seen !!!!! I want to make that quilt too. I have a basketquiltquilt made with Bonnie. But I will start agian and do it with Pink . Definately my favourite story.
Now back to you blog and read what you write about it .
Lucy

Lucy said...

Now I am so Jealous that te woman found this quilt and was able to buy it . I only can dream about it ! what sizes are the blocks. I will start immediatley !!

Melanie said...

Beautiful pictures. I love the fabrics in the star quilts. I never get that lucky at garage sales. Have some ice tea. Ease back into the work load this week.
Melanie

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Love the basket quilt! Reminds me of the top that is STILL unquilted that I started with Lucy! (yes I see she left a comment too! *LOL*) I just LOVE that pink for the background...

Bonnie

McIrish Annie said...

your mystery quilt is great!! i love retreats. looks like you got a lot done.

Catherine said...

Thanks for sharing the baskets. Makes me wish I hadn't given up on my basket blocks!

quiltpixie said...

your mystery quilt is turning out wonderfully. Hope you "find" the lost block...

Unknown said...

Neat mystery quilt! I WANT that antique quilt! Oh My Gosh! Anywho - I wish I would have known about this retreat in Rockford! I'm in Joliet and would have loved to have come up!

Darcie said...

What a great story on the antique basket quilt! I'm so glad you took the time to take pics for us.

Love the mystery quilts. It's always so fun to see the various color ways that quilters choose, isn't it.

Laura said...

Dawn your mystery quilt is great! I love your color choices!

The pink basket quilt is to die for! Someday I want to do that retreat with you!

Judy said...

Wow what a gorgeous pink quilt! A true find!

Your mystery quilt is really looking good!