Thursday, July 13, 2006

Flying Dutchman

Finn was showing her Dutchman's Puzzle block she was thinking of doing, and I made a scrappy quilt (above) once with the same block, but it was called Flying Dutchman. Didn't it turn out to be a happy quilt.
For the flying geese I used my all time favorite method - the no math, no waste flying geese. This is the only way I make flying geese now!
http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html

Just thought I would share this quick!

17 comments from wonderful readers:

Linda C. said...

It is a very happy quilt. And I love the "wonky" set. I'm thinking my perfume bottles would be more interesting set that way . . . but I can't decide what color to set them with. I'll have them at Retreat, so maybe I'll decide by then!

I make no waste flying geese . . . I cut quarter square and half square triangles and sew them together . . . no biggie!

Nancy said...

I love the way you set this quilt together. A very happy quilt indeed. And that has been my preferred way of making geese for a long time now. So quick and easy and perfect every time without those pesky cutaway triangles to deal with when using the other easy method.

Melanie said...

Cute quilt! Looks like summer time.
The flying geese blocks are one of my favorites.
Melanie

Darlene said...

Very sweet and happy quilt.

quiltpixie said...

Thanks for the link to instructions re the geese. I often use half square triangles sewn together, but don't really like the line down the centre of the goose...

Patti said...

Great quilt. OK - I've used this method for flying geese quite a few times - they always turn out too small! Even when I take a scant 1/4" seam. In order for them to be the right size I have to use a 1/8" seam to sew the geese into the block. I wonder why you don't have this problem?

Joanne said...

Definitely a happy quilt! Love the Santas, too!

Anonymous said...

This quilt really sings! You did a fantastic job and the border fabric is just perfect :-)

Tazzie said...

That is a darling quilt, I love the wonky set. It really does look like a happy quilt!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It IS a very fun quilt - and a fun use of a novelty fabric to boot.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Darcie said...

Happy indeed! And I love the secondary diamond patterns that I'm seeing in your purple fabric. Thanks for sharing, Dawn!

Tonya Ricucci said...

You are right - that is one happy quilt. Love how the purple works with the blocks. This quilt so can't be for you tho with this color palette.

dot said...

Such a happy quilt. Thanks for sharing this splash of sunshine.

ForestJane said...

Thanks for the link to the flying geese page, I bookmarked it. :)

McIrish Annie said...

love the flying geese method. hate doing math and easy is always best!! your flying dutchman quilt is fabulous...

Maya Madhavan said...

That's a gorgeous quilt! Thanks for sharing and thanks also for the link - that is such a simple and elegant method. I've shied away from designs that use flying geese blocks. Now there is no excuse for doing so!

Cher said...

I really, really love this quilt Dawn! it is quite happy indeed!