Sunday, February 15, 2009

The great North Woods of WI

We took a short long trip to the northern woods of WI Friday and Saturday. Got home late last night. Thought I would share some pics. Now I had to snap as we whizzed by because there was no time for stopping! It is an 8 hour drive up, and then an 8 hour drive back, and like I said we went up Friday and then came home Saturday afternoon/night. So many sights I didn't get pictures of because I didn't know they were coming up! Above, woods of central WI.

Emily checking me out in the mirror while getting driving hours for her license. She is counting down the days. Only 2 weeks to wait now after 9 long months of waiting.

A Kame in central WI. You will see lots of these in Wisconsin from melting glaciers. This is just a small one I happened to catch as we drove by.


My favorite thing to see in central WI are the rock and limestone formations in the Dells area. I just love looking at these.

Another thing you will see a lot of in Wisconsin are large plastic animals. I saw so many but never had the camera out. I did capture this cow on a pole! But I missed many large plastic fish, an orange moose, 2 bears climbing a billboard pole and even a giant plastic boy!I wish we would have had time to stop in northern WI once we got up there so I could share personal pictures of the fishing hall of fame. I"ve visited here before and stood in the mouth of the large plastic muskie's mouth! I've got some old fun pictures of the kids hauling in "big ones".

Once north the woods/forests change in look. In winter things are bare, but still beautiful. You travel through the Chequamegon National Forest. One of the fun things about northern WI is all the great names of things from the Indians. I'm glad I don't have to pronounce them for you - I would fail miserably! Things like Chequamegon or one of my favorite lakes to stay on - Lake Namakagon.


Finally we reach our destination, Ashland, WI on the shores of Lake Superior. Things are quiet in winter! This is looking off our porch at the hotel. I wanted to sit out and watch the sun set. But I didn't get any takers - I wonder why not!!!! More tomorrow.


9 comments from wonderful readers:

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

HAAA!! I was going to see if you happened to get any funky yard art..I think the big plastic cow on the pole qualifies! :cD

Great trip! So pretty!

Bonnie

Jan said...

OK! Even Bonnie knows about your ability to find weird yard art. You and Laura definitely earn the blue ribbon on that one. Beautiful scenery!

Jenny in Belgium said...

just love the pics of the lake - the blue of the last one is so intense - Jenny

Libby said...

I would have watched the sun set with you . . . . okay, I would have thrown snowballs at you while you tried to watch. That's kind of what you were looking for, right? *s*

Jeanne said...

Brrr! The Lake Superior photos look COLD!
Jeanne :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I have driven those roads many times. I love going up north! I do it at least twice a year :o) Thanks for showing the pictures of my favorite place to be!

Lisa Boyer said...

Holy cow! Amazingly beautiful pictures. What planet do you live on? It sure is white everywhere. What IS that stuff?

Karen said...

I remember the Wisconsin Dells. I have been there twice. It was many, many years ago and I don't remember much about it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the trip, I really enjoyed it.