Tuesday, April 21, 2009

And now a short Break

Amy of Park City Girl has organized an online Quilt Festival! Her idea is for us to share a favorite quilt and give the story behind it and then link to Mr. Linky on her blog. There are already a large list of bloggers linked in hopes of winning a prize from the generous sponsors! What a perfect way to spend a cold rainy dreary day!

And here is my favorite quilt. It is the quilt I used as a girl on my bed from Aunt Mary. I've blogged about this quilt before. But even as a young girl I had to have this quilt on my bed, even though it was old and worn, and even if it was summer I wanted this quilt. I think my love for this quilt is what made me want to learn how to quilt. Aunt Mary was the only person in our family who knew how to quilt, but by the time I got old enough to learn she had died (she was really my great aunt so much older).

Look at the awesome fabrics. This quilt is most certainly my favorite for all the memories and love it holds for me.



22 comments from wonderful readers:

Zonnah said...

I can see why you love this quilt, It's beautiful.

Cathi said...

What an absolutely stunning quilt! I love it! Now I want to make something like that!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful quilt! and such a great story! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful family heirloom!

Quiltmoose - Dagmar said...

This is a gorgeous quilt indeed! Thanks for sharing!

Dagmar from Germany

Katie said...

What a wonderful quilt. I feel the warmth and love.

Karlene said...

Beautiful quilt...love the colors...Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Ditto....same as what all others have said!

Janet said...

How wonderful to have a quilt that has so many memories, its beautiful.

Julia said...

I can see why you love this quilt, It's beautiful....i love both the design and the colours..
Julia ♥

Jan said...

What a wonderful quilt. I love it. My youngest daughter has the first quilt I ever made and it is the only thing she wants when she is sick. So, I know what comfort this quilt brings to you. So much love in it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt, I really like the fabric and the pattern (I imagine with those pieces and angles it took quite awhile to make) and has special memories with it!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a lovely old quilt

Jocelyn said...

What a sweet quilt. And what a sweet story. Thanks for sharing about it. Lots of memories.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a neat quilt. I love the colors.

Mary L. said...

Wow! I LOVE this quilt. What a treasure and in such great shape! Thanks for letting us see it.

Lindah said...

What a treasure! The fabrics are wonderful! And the hand quilting. Do you know whether it is hand pieced? My mom left me a stack of blocks made for her by friends for her wedding shower in 1925....and never made into a quilt. I love the fabrics in them.
And so...you are carrying on in Aunt Mary's stitch steps. That is neat. Perhaps your daughter or a niece or...will follow your stitches, also.
Blessings!

McIrish Annie said...

thanks for sharing the CQF quilts. I loved the black and white one. a nice contemporary spin on an old favorite. i saw David Taylor's quilt in Houston. it is fabulous!

looks like you got some nice goodies for yourself as well..

Browndirtcottage said...

oooouuu...I love this one....no wonder it is your favorite!!!

stitchinpenny said...

Love it, love it, love it.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful treasure!! Thank you for sharing :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your quilt is a treasure you are so blessed to still have! It is beautiful and I can just feel what it is like. I slept with a similar quilt when I was young, but have no idea what happened to it. Enjoy your beautiful quilt and thank you for telling us about it!

Libby said...

What a great quilt - and such wonderful memories, too *s*