Friday, April 06, 2007

Come on home with me....

I bought a new camera the other night and was anxious to try it out, so before reading the instructions or anything, I snapped pictures on my way home from work. I thought maybe you would like to see the sights (or some not so sights) on my drive home! My normal drive home usually takes about an hour to give you an idea of how long it is. Only 35 miles, but it is stop and go lights and Chicago suburb traffic. Above, leaving the office on the only short stretch of highway home. Below, some of the "scenic" Lake County Forest Preserve Marsh Land.

I remember one summer where they spent so much time sticking dead trees into the marsh/prairie for birds to nest in. Granted I think they were some kind of special bird, but the dead tree trunks with no branches and leaves are still there and do look kind of funny. I tried to snap a pic of those, but I was driving by too fast and there was too much traffic to stop!



And of course there is always McDonald's. I pass 6 of them on my way home. 6 just directly on the road I drive. I probably can't even count high enough for ones that may just be around a corner!








Then comes the most unusual site near my home. An Egyptian Pyramid. It was suppose to be to scale of the one in Giza that Tonya visited. The guy is really strange - that is about all I can say about that! Well ok, I can say that he lives in the pyramid.





We are almost home. This is the final corner I need to take to get home. This corner has a ton of very old historic homes. This one on the corner used to be an old general store/soda shop attached to the house.

Finally, only 1/4 mile from that corner is my house. You can tell it was nearing night and rain was coming. The grass is starting to turn green, but the trees still need some leaves! When we built our house 21 years ago our house was in the middle of a corn field - kind of like Field of Dreams! Hope you enjoyed the silly little tour!


18 comments from wonderful readers:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Boy or boy can you multi-task! Drive AND take pictures!!! I'm impressed! :) Obviously a true woman ;) Have a good Easter

Leah Spencer said...

Yeah, I'm impressed by her abilities to drive and click the camera too! I have enough trouble trying to crank up the music as it is. :P

But thanks for the tour - I liked the picture of home best, so green! :)

Tanya said...

Love your home just sitting there like a queen looking out at all the people rushing by in the world!

Libby said...

Good that you have such amusing points of interest for your long commute - thanks for taking us along.

Tonya Ricucci said...

hmm, that just can't be on the same scale as Giza. I don't believe it. Wonder if the guy just likes Egypt or if he believes that pyramids have some kind of mystical power. Thanks for the tour. Eyes on the road!

Darcie said...

Your trip home pics have been entertaining. I bet your hour passed by quicker than usual, right?!

When we went through Chicago en route to Ohio to get our son's ebay Nova...it took us 2 -- TWO -- hours!!! Yikes! And much of the trek was "Under Construction." Someone that I briefly met this year from Chicago said "Yep...that's an inside joke."

ForestJane said...

Thanks for the tour! So do you like the new camera?

Tazzie said...

How fun! A trip with Dawn from the other side of the globe!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

atet said...

Dawn -- you are a braver woman than I to attempt to take photos while navigating your drive. I have to drive to Midway tomorrow to pick up my mil and I dread dealing with the suburban traffic.

I know what you mean about the cornfields -- even though I still live in several of them, they are quickly disappearing and being replaced with subdivisions.

KC Quilter said...

Wow, an hour's drive home from work! Sorry about that. But you do have some interesting sights along the way!!! Your house looks so inviting.

Unknown said...

Fascinating to see snippets of someone else's life - I love that old house with the shop attached - life in the US is so much more spread out than here in the UK where we're all cramped in on top of each other - heaven knows how you find time to do as much stitching as you do with working and an hour's commute each way - I take my hat off to you

meggie said...

Really enjoyed your 'tour'. Found the pyramid story fascinating. Your lovely green lawn! Who mows all that?

Wendy said...

Thanks for the fun tour of your drive home. Your house and yard are beautiful.

Lucy said...

I LOVE to see your tour till your home !!!!

Now I know hat you see and where you live ..mmm great Idea !!!

Sarah said...

Dawn - I grew up in Rockford. I remember that pyramid from our trips in towards Chicago to go to Great America!

Thanks for the tour!

Elaine Adair said...

Well, THAT was fun! I've not been back to Chicago for ... 30 years! uhhh, 40 ...!

Thanks for the tour.

sewprimitive karen said...

Hi, Dawn, loved your tour, especially since I grew up in the Chicago area...love that old brick building...looks vacant right now? Your home looks very pleasant, ah, Chicagoland. Can't remember ever seeing that odd Egyptian thing, though.

Linda C. said...

Great idea doing the commute pictures. I suppose I could do mine, too, but I'd be done in about four snaps! It just takes me four minutes to get from my house to the parking garage downtown. We used to have trains that ran through the middle of town, but Railroad Relocation (of which I wrote ALL the title insurance) moved the tracks to a corridor along the Wabash River. So, we don't have that excuse for being late any more!