Saturday, June 14, 2008

Gwen Marston


If you haven't heard of Gwen Marston or have any of her books you are missing out. One of her best books is Liberated Quiltmaking which is no longer in print. But check out Tonya's blog - she is collecting a list of interest in getting Gwen's book reprinted. This is a book that NEEDS to be reprinted! I was lucky enough to attend a lecture of hers and then take a class from her a few years ago. It was so freeing and enjoyable. She allows you to just enjoy the fabric and sewing. Above is my finished liberated log cabin quilt I started in the class. I just love how it turned out.

Here is my mom's and my little setup while visiting. Felicity Featherweight and I made it just fine to Delaware. I can sew while she works on puzzles and we sit and watch movies and chat! It is a lot of fun! I put a few pieces in the puzzle usually too - although this afternoon I got on a roll and put about 1/2 of it together! Course I made my mom do this one since it was only 500 pieces. I HATE the big hard ones! I leave those to her!

Made 2 blocks for Lynda at Primitive Pieces Breast and Ovarian Cancer Block Party. I love how they turned out. I"m thinking I may have to make a quilt using this block for myself, I love it.

12 comments from wonderful readers:

Tonya Ricucci said...

thanks for helping to spread the word. I used to do jigsaw puzzles that had 1,000 pieces and the picture was just oreos or apples - the harder the better. no puzzles since we got cats though.

Andrea said...

Dawn - I love those blocks a lot. I have a few hours free this afternoon and am itching to start something with all this new fabric I've been buying lately. You've given me ideas - that could be dangerous. I'm doing my 100th post giveaway just now and would like to thank you for keeping visiting me and your lovely words of encouragement - take care x

Karen said...

Oh, I do love to do jigsaw puzzles. My husband and I work them together.
I know Lynda from Primitive Pieces. How nice it is that you are making blocks for her project.

*karendianne. said...

I love these little blocks. How cute and the colors are favorites for me. Perfect.

Elaine Adair said...

The lovely little 9-patches PROVES you don't have to make a difficult block to end up with a pretty quilt. Nice job.

MARCIE said...

Oh Dawn, those blocks are so cool! You know anything you do I just want to eat it up! I love that you and your mom can sit together and visit while you do your own thing. Have a wonderful time! Oh, and your Orange Crush looks wonderful too!

Unknown said...

Yes those blocks are beautiful.

Darcie said...

Looks like a lovely little retreat for both you and your Mom...and lots of progress on either side of the table! Enjoy!

Heidi said...

Those blocks are fab and I just love your little liberated log cabin!

Wendy said...

What a nice way to spend time with your Mom and still have time for quilting. I love Primitive Pieces patterns, that block is awesome.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I love that block as well, gorgeous!
Enjoying asll the eye candy progress on your blog today...as I catch up on bloglines. Hope the cold is a thing of the past, tracey

bingo~bonnie said...

AaaHA! I knew it I knew it!! when i first saw your mini pinapple I thought to myslef I bet she's the type that loves to put together little gig saw puzzels too... and I was right! :) :)

and oops, I said I wouldn't comment anymore tonight.. guess I lied LOL ;)