Saturday, September 18, 2010

Circles and other Blocks

My friends and I decided last jan to exchange blocks for everyones birthdays. We all picked whatever "rules" we wanted and then get to work! Linda wanted brown and pink 12" blocks. At camp Marty gave me a personal little demo on how to set in circles into a piece of fabric so I decided Linda was going to get circles for her block! How cool is that! They are all sewn in circles!

The method is from a book called Circle A Round by Cheryl Phillips and she also has a ruler you can use. I used both her ruler and one from JoAnn Fabrics and I have to say I liked her ruler better.

Here are some other blocks I've made at camp and over the year: (of course I"m still behind and have a lot more to do!)
Sossy's 6" 30's churn Dash

Linda G's 12" anything block using plaids


Jan's block using purple:


Laura's block "something that can be set on point

Ginny's Block - Khaki, Lavender and Green

9 comments from wonderful readers:

Barb said...

Thanks for showing all of those blocks...sure is enough to inspire anyone...love them!

*karendianne. said...

Oh My Gosh this is so cool!!! Wow. I'm so inspired and impressed and delighted. Thanks for sharing this symphony of blocks!

Janet said...

What fun doing all the different blocks for friends. I'm fascinated with the circle technique, that's very cool.

Vivian said...

A friend puts her circles on (in?) blocks that way, and it's pretty cool. The results are great.

Love all the blocks for your friends. Such a wide variety of requests.

Karen said...

I have done set in circles but a different method than you used. Your block looks very good.

I enjoyed seeing all the blocks you showed on your post today. Some very interesting ones.

Thimbleanna said...

Boy, some really pretty quilt blocks. I'm especially partial to the churn dash!

Barb said...

How fun!
thanks for giving us a tour of the blocks

Erika Mulvenna said...

These are wonderful! I love seeing all the different designs and fabrics. Have you visited www.WeAllSew.com to see the many quilting links posted there? Great inspiration!

Quilter Kathy said...

I had a hard time with that circle ruler...must be "user incompetence" :) Do you have any tips for me???