Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I lied to Darcie...

I lied to Darcie last week. I didn't meant to. Well actually it wasn't a lie when I said it....

I told Darcie I would post a beautiful picture of my Sunshine on my Shoulders quilt she quilted once I got the sleeve and binding on this past weekend. And it could have happened. But I struggled with the binding. First I thought I would do a green binding, but when I looked at choices next to the quilt it didnt' seem right. So I tried red/orange, black and tans and none of those seemed right. I didn't want it red/orange because I didn't want to take away from the color in the quilt. I kind of thought of the touch of blue I had in the quilt might be cool, but I didn't have enough blue in my stash for binding (yes I don't buy blue very much - I'm trying to change that!). Black was ok, but darker than I was thinking. So then I found this really dark gold color with black stripes - I thought maybe that would work. I cut it out and sewed it on. Well the more I looked at it this weekend the more I didnt' like it. And it is sewn on! So needless to say I took the above picture, but it isn't the beautiful picture I promised Darcie! I've finally decided to rip off the binding at start back at square one! I think I"ve decided on a orangey red. Exactly what I didn't think I wanted, but I think my gut is telling me I like this orangy red plaid I have with it. So - the next few night's I'll be ripping off the binding and then making new binding! Sorry Darcie - you'll have to wait for that gorgeous picture!

On the playing front I worked on my wool pin cushion top this weekend! It is all ready to sew to the inside bag and backing and fill with sand!!!!

17 comments from wonderful readers:

Shelina said...

This is a beautiful quilt, and I admire your persistence on redoing the binding until you are satisfied with it.

Angie said...

That quilt is a beauty, Dawn! And your pin cushion top is just adorable!

Libby said...

I see Chloe is giving it her paw of approval *s* It really is a beauty.

Elaine Adair said...

It's looks just wonderful to -- the binding is barely visible. But I know, you want it like you want it. It's beautiful.

Knot Garden said...

That's a really beautiful quilt. I also always seem to have problems deciding on my binding fabric.
Your wool pincushion is just adorable.
You have a really nice blog.
Caroline

Carol said...

That quilt is beautiful no matter what color the binding is. I love it. Your pin cushion could not be cuter...love wool!

Patti said...

You have been SO busy! Marvelous projects Dawn! I can't wait to get than miniature book.

Lily Mulholland said...

I don't think that actually constitutes a lie Dawn!!

It has to be right, right?

And you fill your pincushions with sand? Never heard of that before - we always use stuffing! (as in toy stuffing)

ForestJane said...

I really like the sun in the middle of that one... :)

I'd almost be tempted to do a really scrappy binding. I like the color you used on the larger hsts, and pretty good under the teeny hsts.... but it looks dark under the two baskets on the bottom. Have you thought about switching colors of binding right there, and making your binding fit the part of the quilt it touches?

Unknown said...

I have to say I think your gut instincts are absolutely right - blue it most definitely should be - so much so I think it shouts the cause for purchasing some specially for the job

darlynn said...

Dawn, it is Darlynn from Rockford! Your GG quilt is great, but I tell you, once that binding was on, it would stay on! LOL Love your pincushion as well...I too have that pattern and made the crow one. Don't you just love pool sand for 'cushions? Best Wishes....

The Calico Cat said...

Ripping off binding - is that really an option? I would never asin NEVER even consider that... (Not even on some of my cr@ppy binding attempts!)

Darcie said...

Might you be a perfectionish, Dawn?! ;-) One would think that a multi-fabri-cated quilt would be easy to choose a binding for...but sometimes they're the most difficult one's to decide on.

I'll wait!!!

Your pincushion is adorable!

Simonetta said...

I think that this is a beautiful quilt and you have done indeed a deserving job!!!

meggie said...

Beautiful quilt! I would have been happy with that binding...but it is you who needs to be happy!
Love the pincushion too.

Laura said...

Dawn your minatures are perfect! And I love your Sunshine quilt and Darcie quilted it beautifully. And the pincushion top is awesome!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Oh, having to redo binding would make me cry-but we;; done for being a perfectionist!
Been catching up-Happy belated birthday, loved the presents.
As you can probably imagine i went mad over your turkeys, aren't those checks great as well. This new onw you have been on for a few weeks is coming together beautifully. Too clever as usual!! Cheers, Tracey