Friday, March 23, 2007

Rip-It, Rip-It....

Yup, it was a night for rip-it, rip-it..... BUT - it was so worth the time and work! And here it is! The block is finally finished! It will be the center of a medallion quilt! I have no idea what the next round will be. This round was "your favorite". Whether it is your favorite fabric, favorite block or favorite technique. Mine was this block. I"ve wanted to do it for ages, but as you can see it take a bit of work! It will finish about 24" square. I left some extra room for when I go to trim it - but I'll wait until next round to see what it will be.

A few of you had a hard time finding the mistake (well there were some others too), but the one I caught the other night on the post was the strip of missing blue triangles to make the flying geese where the blocks meet. I circled it in HOT PINK for those of you who still don't see it.

I also ripped out all the setting triangles and squares and made new ones that were bigger so my star points would come out. It looks much better now! Well worth the fabric and time. Plus now I have some room for squaring it up! The funniest mistake I found tonight was one triangle strip that was suppose to be 10 HST's, and when I went to sew 2 blocks together I had 11 in it. And here I wondered why that block layed so funny! So I ripped the extra HST out also!

Jane wondered how I made all those HST's. Well I can make them several ways, but my favorite seems to be using the Triangulations CD, and velum or tracing paper. The velum/tracing paper seems to rip so much easier and nicer than triangles on a roll or Thangles. And I like the rectangleness (my word) of making them instead of strips. If I don't need so many, I just cut out a section for how many I need. It just seems to work for me. Plus - with Triangulations you can make any size HST from something like 1/2" finished to 7" finished size - in 1/8" increments! So when I need a really weird size I can get them! My HST in the medallion block finish to 7/8". Couldn't do that with Triangles on a roll or Thangles. Oh and the velum/tracing paper. Buy the cheaper stuff, not the expensive stuff for using in cards and announcements. I buy the cheap stuff in a pad, and have office max cut off the glued-taped end; so then I have loose sheets that go through the printer. Simple as that!

OK, so I stayed up late to get this block done. So I"m beat. Time to go to bed! Night everyone!

21 comments from wonderful readers:

Darlene said...

A very productive evening! Looks great!

Thanks for the velum/tracing paper tip for using with Triangulations. I've always used Triangles on a Roll but keep meaning to purchase Triangulations - maybe it's time! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dawn, this is such a beauty ! And your colors choice is so right! When I look at it, I feel peace and serenity.... Can't wait seeing the next round !

Hugs & smiles,
NADINE

Joanna from Fresh Figs said...

Thanks so much for coming by my new blog. i found the quilts you mentioned that you've done of mine. Very nice colors. You are a very prolific quilter. I will definitely be back to see what you are working on. Keep up the quilting.

Joanna

Carol said...

Oh my goodness Dawn that center is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing Triangulations...I'll give that a try...I usually just over cut...sew and then cut them back because I didn't like tearing off the paper but the vellum sounds better. Have a wonderful day. Can't wait to see this grow.

Helen said...

Oh, wow, that is an amazing block.

Libby said...

Dawn you are just amazing and so is your block. It was a lot of work, but I know you will be glad to have that extra 'square up' room.

Anonymous said...

You star is wonderful. I had not yet seen this pattern

Unknown said...

What a fabulous centrepiece to a medallion quilt - definitely worth the frog-stitching - you should be very proud of yourself. Love the colour choices, can't wait to see what you put round it

Rose Marie said...

So far, the star centre is just "stunning"! Can't wait to see what you do next with it!

sewprimitive karen said...

That's really well done, Dawn. Love it. Wonder what will border it??

KC Quilter said...

Oh, Dawn, you have outdone yourself!!! That block is just beautiful. Can't wait to see the rest of the rounds!

meggie said...

Beautiful block! Well worth the effort, & look forward to seeing the progress.

Tazzie said...

Ohhh Dawn, just amazing, really amazing! I hadn't noticed the problem with your block until you mentioned it, but I agree, it would be something you'd really want to fix. I can't even imagine how you got that section to fit without the extra triangles. I love the colours too, just lovely.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Lily Mulholland said...

Dawn it's beautiful - definitely worth ripping and fixing. I just love the teal/choc combo - gorgeous gorgeous and beautiful work!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Hi Dawn,
Thanks for the info on the HST...isn't it amazing how many ways one can sew such a basic shape. I'll have to look for that triangulations...neat product!

Unknown said...

So many HST and they all fit! What a feat! I am really curious to see what the next round will look like. It will be hard to top the star! Take care.

atet said...

Thanks for the tip on the triangulations -- I've used the Thangles, and they work, but not in love with pulling off all that paper and have ruined a few blocks because of stitches ripping out. I've been looking at it for awhile -- need to try it. I love the block and can't wait to see the next round.

Lucy said...

What a block Dawn ! It is AWESOME !

Patti said...

Oh, I've always wanted to do this block ever since I first saw it in Marsha McCloskey's first feathered star book. One of these days . . . . Yours looks absolutely super! I'm so glad you took the time to make it right - you will be so much happier with it.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That quilt has ended up looking as fantastic as I thought it would! Thanks for the tips with thetriangulations, fabulous. Do you remember what you paid, I've been over the net, about $25?

Chookyblue...... said...

love this star. I want to do one. Love the colours also.