Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Of scraps and crumbs.....

So - you all want to know what I did with my scraps from the table runners? I made this awesome 8-pointed star! Doesn't it look great! Now I didn't take the time to do Bonnie's lovely string 8-pointed star with no seams. Like I said I wasn't feeling well, so I just plain did not want to think or mess with that. But I still like the result. It is 16" square so I"m going to make it a table topper for my friend for xmas.


But then I had these crumbs from the star. Oh no - the process starts again!



So I made this sawtooth star out of those! This one finishes at about 8" square, so I may just put this block in my block bag for now. And NO - I did not have any teeny tiny crumbs left from this one!


BUT - I did get my AWESOME Hawaiian tool caddy from Sharon! All because I named her purse ricki-ricki-timbo-aw-so-rimbo-oo-ma-goochi-gamma-gamma-goochi. And where did I get that name you might say. I have no idea why this popped in my head, but when I saw the hawaiian stuff I thought of a childhood record we had (and I think it was a Disney record actually) that had this story of Nikki Nikki Timbo Aw So Rembo Oo Ma Goochi Gamma Gamma Goochi on it. So that was the name I gave it! Well then I got thinking about this record and did some searching on the web for it. And I found a free mp3 download of it - the version we had on the record as children!


Click here to get the mp3 download.


Now this story IS NOT politically correct at all these days - so no nasty comments about that. Remember this story was back in the 60's - I have no idea when the record came out. Can you believe this was on a disney record! So as a thank you I sent Sharon the story. But you can listen too. Just take it for what it is, a funny chinese story. Or you can see what Wikipedia has to say about the old folktale here. And just a written version of the story if you can't download the mp3 is on this site - but it is much better with the music on the mp3 version.

26 comments from wonderful readers:

Lisa D. said...

Your scrap stars are both beautiful - wow! Great use of leftovers!

MARCIE said...

Oh my gosh, I turn my back and you go crazy! All those table runners, and Ricki Ricki, and CRAZY stars! Those stars are sooo cool! Way to create! I am going to have to hold onto my chair when you start feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Your scrap stars are both gorgeous, I love the way the brown fabric really makes them pop.

Gypsy Quilter said...

You are so very clever.

SuBee said...

Oh wow - I hadn't thought of Tikki Tikki in YEARS! Funny what kinds of things jog our memories, huh? The star is great!

Vicki W said...

The scrap star is a great idea!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I'm glad you like your new caddy. I thought it was too cute!!! Congrats and you owe a big old thank you to all my bloggy peeps. They insisted that someone win with the name!!!! LOL!!!!

Lucy said...

What a scrapstar! I love it and I will give a star like this a try too for my crumbs!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I totally loved that book when I was a kid. But I remember it as Tiki Tiki Tembo Nosi Rimbo Cherri Berri Roochi Pip Perri Pembo. Boy has that morphed over the years. Never had it on a record. wonder if I can find other childhood songs I loved on MP3.

Unknown said...

Your scrap stars are real treasure discovered in the sweepings up that I would just stuff into a drawer and not do anything with - a real bonus! Hope you're starting to feel a bit better :o)

Juliann in WA said...

Wow - you have been busy. The colors in all of these pieces are wonderful and I do love that star.

KC Quilter said...

Ohmigosh, the stars. Don't know how you do it, girl. You turn how the most gorgeous quilty things. Your blog is such an inspiration. Hope you're feeling all better.

Carol said...

Oh Dawn those stars are just wonderful...I LOVE them!

Leah Spencer said...

Great job on stretching your scraps! And thank you for linking to the text version of the story, I really appreciate it. :)

julieQ said...

Hope you feel better soon. Your scrappy star is just wonderful. Another wonderful idea for all those lurking strings!

Happy Holloween!

Unknown said...

That is called to use up all scraps, great stars.

jeanette said...

Wonderful tablerunners! And that star is just: WOW!!

Darlene said...

Great use of crumbs. The stars are beautiful.

The caddy is sooooo cute!

Saska said...

Love the scrapy star. The table runners look really good too--love the braid.

Libby said...

Oh you clever, clever girl *s* Those stars are outstanding.

Mama Spark said...

Your scrapy star is fab! You are an inspiration to us all!

atet said...

Ooooh -- those stars are great! And as for the story -- I have fond memories of it from the 70's, and can still even remember his full name (and say it!). Thanks for the link to the mp3, I'm going to download it and put it on my ipod for my daughter. Now I just need to get the book!

atet said...

Oh, and for anyone else out there who has an ipod and wants to use itunes -- I just looked it up, it's available as a audio book there!

Erin said...

I love the star! and I love the caddy! I did download the mP3! thanks! the runners are nice too!

godoodlesnquilt.blogspot.com

meggie said...

I adore your stars!!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Those saw tooth starts are fabilous, you never cease to amaze and inspire, great caddy and liked the table runners, someone will be lucky this Christmas, tracey