Tuesday, February 02, 2010

It was bound to happen...

Come on. You guessed it. You just knew. I've spent 10 years wanting to make a Dear Jane quilt and never have. Sure I started once and made 5 blocks and thought they looked crummy - so put them away and didn't touch it again. I even broke down twice and made mini Dear Janes with only a few blocks. I hemmed and hawed. I just couldn't bring myself to buy 12 yards of background fabric. I found excuse after excuse.

Well I did it. January 31st - my first Dear Jane block is done. Sure it is only a 9 patch, but it is a start! And I am all organized now with binder and software to make it happen. And the background fabric. Well I decided nope, not happening. I'm making it scrappy. I'll make most of my blocks with shirtings. when I get closer to having it done I"ll find a fabric for the thin sashing strips. I'm using my stash. Even have my second block prepped for applique and the third is in my head!

Yup, it was bound to happen sometime. It's not like I ever quilt or make anything else - right?

9 comments from wonderful readers:

Vivian said...

Congrat's on restarting DJ! I've been working on mine for over 2 years. I work on it intently for a while, then ignore it, work on it again, and ignore it again. DJ is very forgiving that way.
I have a feeling of accomplishment after every single block, and rather than being frustrated re: how many I have yet to do, I enjoy that mini completion.
I hope you enjoy every step of planning and every stitch. I also am using scrappy backgrounds and will use one unifying fabric for my sashing. That's part of the fun of doing a DJ -- there are so many ways to make one.

Bravo for taking this big step, and enjoy!

Libby said...

It was bound to happen . . . you make a quilt that I'm not dying to copy *s* I'll be right here on the sidelines cheering you on. I love, love, love that you are going to go scrappy!

julieQ said...

It was bound to! I really, really want to try the Stickle journey one day...after I finish my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.

Thimbleanna said...

WooHoo! Congratulations on taking the plunge!!!

Sara said...

Me, too! Well, I haven't actually decided on colors, scrappy, etc. However, the mailman brought me my order of the software and book yesterday. I am feeling a bit overhelmed. I think I may buy background fabric and then use my scraps/stash for all the other fabrics. Or, maybe a white and blue one would be neat. Maybe with Amy Butler? You see my problem.
Good luck!

Anya said...

I'm glad to see another quilter start on her DJ journey. Good luck and don't give up!

Elaine Adair said...

Wow - brave woman!!! I take my hat off to you!

tich said...

Good for you! Go for it!!

Material Mary said...

Lovin the civil war choices so far. Good luck.
Mary