Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Little Bits

I"ve been busy doing this and that. Lots of putzy little things and nothing really to show yet. Above is a bit bigger peek at my small quilt I"m hand quilting. I only have 2 borders to go!

And here is a peek of a small round robin quilt I quilted. I can't show the whole thing yet because it is suppose to be a secret to the owner. But I thought I would show a small part since I spent quite a bit of time this past weekend working on it.

Then a real treasure. Lori and I got talking about old quilt blocks we have found and I told her about this beauty. My mother in law gave this to me framed about 20 years ago. She had the story about it hand written on the back. Then in 1994 my oldest daughter (I think she was in 3rd grade) had a story in reading about a grandma, a girl and a quilt. So she wrote about this quilt block and took the framed block in to school to share with her class. I of course pasted her story to the back of it! Reading it now gives me such great memories!

I even went in one day and taught the class how to hand sew some 4-patches together. I was so surprised how much the boys enjoyed it! Each student made a 4-patch (by hand) and then I brought them home and made a small quilt with them. When it was done I gave it to the class. The teacher made a small book and each student got to take the quilt and book home for a few days. The kids wrote about what they did with the quilt while they had it, and some even put in pictures. The funniest one was the boy who used the quilt as a parachute for his army men and threw it off the roof of the house!

10 comments from wonderful readers:

antique quilter said...

oh I love that quilt, still never made it....
your making another one!

cute story.
love treasures like that from our children

Karen said...

The first photo showing the flower in the pot......I can tell that this is my kind of quilt!

Libby said...

What a great story of Holly's class . . . . wonder where that quilt is now?

Lori said...

What a terrific story. I love how the one block morphed into a beautiful childrens project!! The framed block i so special!!

I love the piece you are working on. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

Barb said...

what a fun flower in a pot!
Yea for hand quilting!

Angela said...

What a treasure that quilt block is! And glad your family had the wisdom to preserve the history (story) with it! Beautiful!

Loris said...

What a wonderful story...children and quilts make for heartwarming adventures.
Love the applique quilt in the first photo. That looks rich and charming. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love that flower pot on the first quilt. Great story about the old quilt. I've heard that boys really take to stitching when you show them. I love that the stories are on the back of that quilt too. Years from now it can be read and reread.
Happy Easter Dawn.

Jan said...

Memories!!!!

Leeanne said...

Love the first quilt photo,it looks so sweet, is this part of something larger?