Sunday, October 15, 2006

Getting there and my embarrasing laundry room

Here are my 9-patches now! I hope today to get the borders on - we will see how that goes. I want to miter the corners and no matter how much I "know" how to do it, they just never quite come out perfect.
And here is my embarrasing laundry room. It is basically what you call a mud room. My husband does landscaping and this is the room where everthing gets washed up, junk gets thrown in, and the kids just deposit whatever in it! To the far left you see just the corner of the wash tub. And what you can't see is on the right is the big dog food bin.
And in taking this picture I remember I had one more piece of flooring to "keep" someday. Jenna watched on TV this one time some guy who was giving out household hints on things. Well he made some concoction to remove pen from any surface. So she decides to try it. Well what she didn't think about was it was marker or pen - it wasn't permanent marker. So she goes in the laundry room and writes "Jenna was here" on our floor! Then tries to remove it and it won't remove! And Jenna at the time was about 15! Not a cute little toddler! Anyway, after years of wear and trying to remove it, we now have a black blob and you can barely read the words. But evertime I do laundry I remember my "little blonde"!

11 comments from wonderful readers:

Libby said...

Ahhh, mitering the border. I have to have instruction manuals, measuring devices, extra marking tools. You would think a major scientific breakthrough was about to happen. Have fun.

quiltpixie said...

Ah mitred borders... I don't find them too bad but don't talk to me about mitred bindings! For the borders I use long pieces for the border, sew to 1/4" from the corner. Once they're all on I then fold the quilt in half diagonally being careful to match the inside of the borders.... Stitch the border from the resulting corner point outward, making the miter... Only after I'm completely happy do I trim the extra border off.... I find I don't have to tear it out too often that way and I don't have to measure and measure and measure....

Leah Spencer said...

Let me guess, she also wrote her name smack dab in the middle of the floor, and not some hidden corner. :P

meggie said...

Hmmm, mitred corners for boarders,... not my strong point!
But! I can do bindings brilliantly.
I guess we all have different challenges.

Love your 'Helper'. I used to have one, but now she has a 'bully brother', who is so lively, she is usually off avoiding him, somewhere.

As to children's 'markings'.... We had a wonderful dining table that my daughter & her friends had all marked at times, (nailpolish remover is stunning at lifting the polish!) along with various things from the boys. I almost cried when it had to go , it had so many memories.

Tazzie said...

Well, I think your laundry looks just fine, thank you for sharing! It's kinda cute how you have all these little reminders of your kids around the place. I love how your nine patches are coming along. Good luck with the mitred borders, it can be a little harrowing, but it's always the way to go with a border print.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

ForestJane said...

Compared to mine, your laundry room looks great! I won't even post mine... lol

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Can't really help with the mitred borders, I'm flat out with mitred bindings. We have a lovely timber kitchen table, my boy was 4 and loved playdough, he found my metal dough scraper in the drawer when I was hanging washing, when I came inside there were over 35 deep chops in the table up to an inch long and half an inch deep- a good way of ensuring he inherits the table!!

Darcie said...

Love your floor story! 'Course...it's always better when it's someone else's! What can a person do but chuckle!

I think your laundry room is just great. I like the shelving up high...and a place to hang your clothes. I've been hollering for a clothes rod for eight years! I just need to get some power tools of my own...maybe then I'll be taken seriously! ;-)

Finn said...

Oh you are a brave soul!! Mitering?? Ug!

I love the quilt tho, and the miter will make the borders just smashing!
Laundry room? Not bad at all!! Looks very much like a well used laundry room. Hugs, Finn

p.s. great pic of Chloe yesterday..*VBS*

Nines said...

Now what's wrong with that laundry room? Perfectly respectable. Love the mark on the floor. Whenever my brother would draw in a book that he wasn't suposed to- like the dctionary- She'd sign and date it for him. Gave it sentimental value. Love the 9 patches all sewn together!

Laura said...

Your laundry room is nice, you notice I haven't shown mine,and I won't! One of the problems living in an old house is no closets, therefore a lot gets left in the laundry room!