Sunday, October 08, 2006

I'm home - and tired!

We are back home and let me tell you - there is NOTHING between Chicago and Des Moines! Lots and lots of corn and beans! But we did the full campus tours at Universtity of Iowa and then Drake for a small school. Jenna has already been accepted in to University of Iowa's and Purdue's pre-pharmacy programs. Drake also has a pharmacy program - so we thought she should get a taste of small college also. It was gorgeous weather and we walked miles and miles. And I had no idea, but there is this HUGE hill on UofIowa campus - oh my gosh, I don't know how many times we walked up and down that hill! But we had fun. I think Jenna is a bit overwhelmed with making a decision!

So above is my rug so far. I think I have to figure out how to curve it on the ends better. And parts of it are not flat by any means. But maybe once I get it all done and stretch it into shape? We will see I guess. Not sure where I want to use it yet, so I'm not sure how much bigger I want to make it. It is maybe about 2 ft x 3ft. Just a little more and it would be good in front of my kitchen sink maybe.

The most fun surprise we found on the trip was on the way home in Cedar Country Iowa. It was time for one of those stops you have to make when you've downed bottles of water all morning! So I had Mark pull off at the next rest area. And can you believe what I found! This rest area was all decorated after the Undgerground Railroad quilt code! Mark and Jenna just rolled their eyes! I was so mad I didn't have my camera with me. But I did find a great article about the designer of all these Iowa rest areas. There is a different theme at all of them (well all of them that they "redid". It was really interesting. If your interested you can read about it here (in pdf format).



Inside the floor had tiles of the quilt blocks with their names and on the wall was a large tile underground railroad "quilt sampler". Outside they had a plaque with what each block meant. So it was a really fun stop! Well, back to unpacking and laundry!

7 comments from wonderful readers:

Darcie said...

Glad that you're home safely, Dawn! And you didn't even run out of fabric balls...I was sure that you would!

Great find at the rest stop! Thanks for sharing the information. Pretty interesting...what a cool theme!

Carol E. said...

The last rest area in Iowa on I-35 headed north, just before one enters Minnesota, is also a good one. Not quilt-related, but it's fun. The problem is, I was there in the wee hours of the morning, half asleep, and can't remember much about it. I think it looks like a big barn or a silo or something. Thanks for sharing the info about this quilt one.

Katie said...

College hunting is such a fun time. Glad you enjoyed it. Isn't it great that someone designed the rest stops with such interesting themes. Thinking outside the box makes life so much more fun.

Libby said...

Wow, what a fun rest stop.

Glad the campus tour was successful -- it is a difficult decision to make.

Laura said...

What awesome rest stops!

You got so much done on your rug! It looks great!

meggie said...

WOW! I love your blogs. What great pics, & you sure are a busy person.

This has been my first visit & I have really enjoyed it.

I will be sure to visit again.

I am so new to this blog caper- it has been costing me quilting time!

sewprimitive karen said...

I read about this amazing rest stop featuring quilt blocks/Underground Railroad when doing an exhibit on the same last year. I certainly hope I can see this place one of these days!