Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Just a few things

Just a few things I thought I would share before being busy for the weekend. My sister called yesterday and said that she had to tell me something cute my nephew (and godson) said. I had sent her some pictures of his oriental fabric all cut up to tell him I had started on his quilt. Darci showed it to him and he said "I don't get it mom". She said "I don't get it either sweetie, but it will be beautiful when it is done". A bit later he comes up to her and says "Mom, I'm so lucky to have an aunt who can make that quilt for me". Ohhh now doesn't that just make it all worth it!!!!
I got sections B and C done on it. As you can see I ran short on a few fabrics so used my own creative "fixes". Notice in that one 4 patch I had to make a 4 patch to make one patch in the bigger 4 patch. And in the big 8-1/2" square I had to put in a slice of another fabric to make it big enough. I think it should work.

And I"ve been playing with some little drunkard path blocks. I found the only way I can get these sewn easily is to just pin. I tried less pins but it was just to futsy at the machine. So I cut them out and pin while watching TV. Then sew some up to free up pins and do the whole thing again!
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

16 comments from wonderful readers:

McIrish Annie said...

Dawn, what is the pattern you are using for the oriental quilt???

Finn said...

Hi Dawn, what a great pattern to show case the oriental fabrics!!
And it looks like the assembly is pretty straight forward and quick!! *VBS* I love the drunkards path blocks, great colors. Have a happy turkey day! Hugs, Finn

Anonymous said...

Wish you a happy thanksgiving.
Have to answer you this way. It seems that the one that have not changed to beta comes up as no reply in my hotmail. That's the biggest problem now between beta and non beta.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your oriental quilt finished - I'm intrigued :-)

Carol said...

What a lucky boy! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sweet P said...

You have one incredibly smart nephew. Your quilt is coming along great.

sossy said...

I think the oriental quilt is going to look great! What is the pattern called. As for the drunkards path, I was lucky enough to get a special foot for my sewing machine that sews them very easily and doesn't require pinning. It was a birthday gift from my mother-in-law afew years ago. Haven't used it in awhile, but seeing your blocks makes me want to get it out this weekend and make some. Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving!

Susan said...

I love that top picture. I could make that section over and over and just love the quilt!

Anonymous said...

Dawn it's looking great so far. What a maverick you are!!

Too cute what your nephew said.

That black Japanese character fabric is really great!

Happy Thanksgiving :)

KC Quilter said...

Oooh, love how the oriental quilt is starting out!! Can't wait to see it all finished. And what a special nephew to have such appreciation for his aunt! Happy T Day.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful fabrics. Curved pieces are always a touch one for me.

Darcie said...

Your nephew is extremely lucky!!! It is gorgeous!!! You're doing very well wandering out of your comfort zone, Dawn! Very well!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Looking great as usual. You have a special Godson.

Anonymous said...

Oh, these are such nice words from your godson ! That could be part of naming the quilt, something like "the lucky one",......

Your drunkard path blocks are beautiful ! I always admire people who can do that. I have given up for a long time ! When I need this block, I just use "the lazy Nadine method" : I applique circles on backrgounds, then cut them in quarters, and finally bring them together in a scrappy look...(Better those than nothing!)

Hugs & smiles,
(thanks for your kind comment on my blog and e-mail, you're an angel too !)

NADINE.

Libby said...

Out of the mouths of babes ... his quilt will be lovely.

Shelina said...

Your drunkard path blocks are beautiful. Can't wait to see them in a quilt! I like to use lots of pins too. I bought the curvemaster foot at the NQA convention this June, but haven't figured out how to use it yet!