Saturday, November 11, 2006

Some quilts from other countries

I think my favorite thing of the quilt show was the international display of quilt winners from different countries. I love seeing the different colors, styles and fabrics they use. So below I've given you a sample of one of my favorite quilts from each country (at least the ones I could remember the country for!). And these are by no means my only favorites, just ones that are fun to share.

Before we get into pictures though, for those of you who are still wondering what the song is to the blue wall hanging in the previous post .... Paula the Quilter got it right - "Blue Moon".

The above quilt is from Italy. It contains about 20,000 one inch squares! YIKES!


Then is a very cool quilt from Brazil. I don't know exactly what drew me to this quilt, but everytime I walked around this quilt caught my eye.




And for some reason I loved this quilt from Germany. I found it very calming and interesting.


And then was this great quilt of trees from South Africa. I just love the look of all the different trees. I looked at those trees forever. How come our trees in the US don't look as fun!





And then comes New Zealand - there were TONS of quilts from New Zealand I loved. I didn't know which one to pick to show you! So I chose this quilt for Lucy. The fabrics came from Amsterdam and I LOVED them.



And last but not least is one from Canada. I decided to pick a humorous one from Canada. If you can't read the sign I HAVE to share it with you because it makes the quilt soooo funny.

"A woman "of a certain age" she's HOT! She's active. She carries her history with pride. But my goodness, does she have to flash so often?"




13 comments from wonderful readers:

Anonymous said...

What a great world tour!

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to see so many talented quilters all over the world. It always amazes me how different quilts are from country to country - yet it's still just a bunch of fabric cut up and pieced back together LOL. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Libby said...

Isn't it nice to know that all around the world -- even though our daily lives can be quite different -- we are all enjoying the same things.

Nancy in MT said...

The one from Germany looks like something Gwen M. would design, they are all great, and the red woman is too funny. Nancy in MT

Katjaquilt said...

I'm very happy that my quilt groups managed to have a class with Bernadette Mayr next April, the lady who did the quilt from Germany. You can visit her homepage on www.bernadette-mayr.de

Darcie said...

Ah! The universal language of quilting! Isn't it wonderful to be a part of!

Thank you for the terrific sharing of quilts from the Show, Dawn. You picked some great ones for us.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I love the Italian quilt...

Anonymous said...

A terrific tour. Love the German quilt and the Italian quilt especially, but they are all beautiful. Wow!

Judy said...

Very interesting and neat quilts Dawn!!

Lucy said...

Ohh Yes Dawn I recognized the Den Haan and Wagemakers fabric from Amsterdam ! She made a great quilt !!!

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh wow Dawn. What a hoot that last one from Canada is!!

Love the zebra in the Sth African quilt. Oh yes those trees look magic :)

Anonymous said...

WOW ! What a show ! It's too beautiful ! (Oh, those African trees !)
(See what I mean in my mail : I just feel a long, long, way behind such artists!.... but, OK, they started one day, too).
Thanks for sharing all that beauty with us.
Hugs and smiles,
NADINE.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely show - thanks for sharing with us all. Love the South African tree one - perhaps because I am South African (now Canadian) and those just look at home!