Friday, December 23, 2005

Henry Ford Quilt Book

Lucy and I were discussing quilt books the other day when she posted about some. Finn got us on the topic with her picture of the quilt from the Women in Washington book a few days back - later this weekend more on that book.


Anyway, I had recently purchased (yes I couldn't wait until after Christmas) Fons & Porter Presents Quilts from the Henry Ford: 24 Vintage Quilts Celebrating American Quiltmaking. This is a new book and well worth the money. It has some great history in it, and some pictures of gorgeous antique quilts. My first love is antique quilts. So I told Lucy I would show her a taste of what is in the book!

The top 2 pictures are of the pages where it talks about life, home and textiles of the time. Don't you just love those irons!


The 3rd picture shows one of the pages of a timeline about quilts and the styles made. It is only a few pages, but a very fun quick glance!


Then I scanned my most favorite quilt out of the book. I LOVE this quilt! Oh to be brave and make one like it. Isn't it lovely! This book is certainly a keeper!

Hope you all have a great Holiday weekend. I'm sure we will all be busy - so I wish you all a very happy Holiday!

6 comments from wonderful readers:

quiltpixie said...

That last quilt you photographed really is a to die for. The history and stuff aren't my first passions, but a quilt like that, now that is tempting --but absolutely way beyond my time, patience and skill :-)

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to take a look for the book so I can drool in the store (Maybe then they'll have to discount it due to water damage??) hehehe

Finn said...

Hi Dawn, thanks for sharing some of those quilts with us. I do enjoy seeing them and thinking about what it must have been like to make them, with NONE of our modern tools. Not to mention electricity. They(the quilts and the women) amaze me!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Ooh, love what you showed us from the book so far. Is most of it history and the fab antiques, or is that only a small section of the book with the rest devoted to patterns?

Lucy said...

YES YES !!!!!! do you remember I told in my blog that my first 'mind ufo' is a sunburst? This quilt is exactly what I mean!!! I am going to order that book. Thank you Dawn for sharing it.

Joanne said...

Great pics Dawn. Guess I'll have to start looking for that book!
I think you can probably draft that last quilt and make it up in your spare time next year? vbg

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Ooooohhh I think I need this book! I see lots of eye candy that has me drooling!

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
Bonnie