Sunday, January 29, 2006

An Amish Gwen

Here is my favorite liberated log cabin Gwen showed us! I loved the colors - they were so me - and I loved all the little centers she started with. She called the tiny centers the composition. Isn't it great. When Tonya said she thought she may make a liberated log cabin with solids my first thought was this, I love it so much!

Also is a pic of 9 of my log cabins sewn together! Many more to go but it is looking good!



8 comments from wonderful readers:

Lucy said...

Dawn, I think you have seen these days the most wonderfull quilts!! Are all the quilts from Gwen quilted by hand?? Yours is also very great with the lovely fabric :c)

Darcie said...

OOOOH HOW FUN, DAWN!!!

These pictures are such an inspiration. I've been sorting through my hand dyeds (in suitcases) all day...coming up with a lot of *onesies.* (One fat 1/4 of this, on of that...) And these pics of yours make me realize that I CAN DO IT TOO!!!

Darcie said...

Oops...the prior should read: One fat 1/4 of this, ONE of that....

Bah, proofreading!

Susan said...

Are these liberated log cabin quilts featured in Gwen's "Liberated Quiltmaking" book? Where can I find a source for instructions? They look so cool!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Envy envy envy. Dawn, you're doing excellently on your quilt. Keep working on it!
By the way, this particular Gwen quilt is pictured in "Liberated Stringpiecing" - not sure if you have that one yet.

Finn said...

It's great seeing Gwen's quilts up close and personal, thanks for sharing your lecture and class with us.

I have very little ego, but I'm not seeing much difference between the liberated log cabins and my mile a minute blocks..LOL. Oh yes, there is a representational red "center" to indicate it is a log cabin. And I haven't even see the Liberated String Quilts book as yet...*VBG*

Laurie Ann said...

Dawn - thanks for sharing the seminar with us. I love your blocks. The colors are just great!

Patti said...

Thanks so much for sharing your "Gwen" experience with us Dawn. What a wonderfully creative woman she is. I didn't realize until I read the notes of your lecture that the Mennonite women she learned from are practically in my "back yard". We go down to Aurora every year for the quilt show - it's a marvelous little show on the museum grounds.

I've now perused through your entire blog - skimming the posts that duplicated your postings to PFA. I enjoyed "catching up" with you very much!