Friday, January 06, 2006

Aunt Mary's quilt arrives at my house!


Remember weeks (or maybe months - boy my mind is getting old!) when I told you about the quilt I remembered as a child/teenager always being on my bed? Even then I HAD to have that quilt on my bed. So I asked my mom about it recently and if she still had it - it was made by my Aunt Mary.

Well as hoped the quilt arrived under my Christmas tree this year from my mom! It is much loved and torn - but I wanted it so bad. I think my mom was afraid to give it to me in such bad shape, but now knows how much I loved that quilt.

Anyway, the backing on it is in perfect shape and condition. The front however is very torn and worn. So my long term goal is to find vintage fabrics and slowly repair this quilt! I may never finish it in my lifetime, but I know I have it and I know I'm treasuring it.

Well it just so happens that a very lovely friend of mine sent me some vintage fabrics for another reproduction quilt I wanted to make, and lo and behold - some of the fabrics I got I think are going to be perfect for Aunt Mary's quilt! Can you believe that! So now instead of charging ahead and starting my repro quilt I am going to have some long sits with the quilt and the vintage fabrics and see if any of them seem to fit. I'll pull those out and start repairs as I feel like it.
Since I finally had the quilt in my hands I had a chance to take a few more pics of it for you to see the design. I hope you all enjoy it! I did!

10 comments from wonderful readers:

Finn said...

Aunt Mary's quilt is absolutely beautiful Dawn!! I think replacing the worn pieces is a lovely idea..*VBS* And it will be a labor of love I am sure. I've done what you propose, it's mostly just "fussy and putzy". You get the new piece or pieces in place and then re-quilt that part.

Laurie Ann said...

That is really so neato! Your Aunt would/will (?) be so honored that you love it and are wanting to fix it up. I am still trying to figure out how to add my blog to my profile. I know where it should be, but ... I'll keep trying!

Unknown said...

What a treasure; beautiful!! Do you know what the pattern is called?

LNLisa said...

That's a beautiful quilt! I can see why you treasure it.

Tracey said...

Dawn, what a *beautiful* quilt. I'm SO glad that you finally got it and am sure that you will treasure it. :o)

Sarah said...

Dawn -

So glad you have inherited one of your favorite quilts! Does it have a label on it? Maybe you could add one to it, with all your wonderful memories included!

Congrats!

Sarah

Joanne said...

Oh, what a beautiful quilt. How lucky you are! Congrats

Lucy said...

OOOOh Dawn, what great that you have this quilt made by your aunt!! It is so special ...

The Calico Cat said...

Lovely! I inherited a few (5 I think) of those blocks - onlu mine have an all white background - no purple....)

You are lucky to still have it....

Darcie said...

Yippee for you to finally be the owner of this special quilt, Dawn! No matter if you get in re-furbished or not, it is a treasure!

LOVE that purple!