Friday, February 10, 2006

Away in the Manger

I was reading Finn's blog late last night and it got me remembering things from my past. And for some reason I started thinking about all the old Christmas cards my dad used to make when I was very young. He used to take the picture and then make the "card" on photo paper. I remember them developing or something in our bathtub! Every year there was a theme.

My favorite one was from my first Christmas. Now of course I don't remember that Christmas, but I do have the card and remember the stories around it. At the time we lived in a very rural IL farm town. My dad taught at the area HS and my mom was a substitute teacher. On days when she had to fill in, the people who they rented their farm house from would watch me (their farm-house was on the same farm but not exactly next door). Anyway "Grandma and Grandpa Baker" actually had a farm and when they would have to go out to the barn to do chores they would plunk me in the manger by the cows to keep me out from underfoot! I hear I was good friends with those cows! So that year for the Christmas card it featured me in the manger and my buddy cow!
I did get to quilt a bit last night! So that made me happy! I'm working on a wall hanging that has to be done by Monday night - so I'll have some pictures this weekend for you! In the meantime I've dug up an old, old, picture of a quilt I made. I made this quilt about 10 years ago for my nephew (and godson). I got the pattern from an old Prairie Farmer magazine! He loved the quilt to death. So when quilt #2 was made for his bed about 5 years ago, he loved golf. So I made him this gold quilt! I designed it myself! I even used all the scraps to make a small lap quilt to go with it! Not sure what I'll do for his next one - I'm guessing that will come soon - unless he decides he is too old and cool for quilts while he is in those teen years!

(the smaller print is the word moo over and over and over!)



7 comments from wonderful readers:

Laura said...

Dawn, you must have gotten your talents from your dad! How cool that he made cards and what lasting memories they have given.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful dad and so talented - great treasures for you :-)

Tonya Ricucci said...

Moooo. That is a great christmas card. Fun quilts.

quiltpixie said...

I have a few old valentine cards somewhere that were given to my grandparents by their school mates in the early 30's that you've reminded me of... wonder where I've stuck them safely :-?

Tracey said...

Oh that card is just TOO CUTE!!

Kairle Oaks said...

Oooohhhhh...how cute! What a special Chistmas card!

That little farm quilt is so sweet. Love the color combo. It really has a nice oldtime country feel.
Kairle

Holly said...

What wonderful memories and cards! Lucky nephew to have an aunt who makes quilts for him :)