Saturday, February 18, 2006

This ain't your Grandmother's Log Cabin


Yes - my liberated log cabins top is done! I"m piecing the back of the quilt now and have planned how I"m going to quilt it! It is going to utilize the wide border I put on - but that is all I'll say for now! I"m going to machine quilt this one. I"m hand quilting a large quilt right now and for what I want to do with this machine quilting will be much better.

Won't chat much today. Like a few others of you, I"m having teenage boy problems and not quite in the mood. Why are boys so hard? Growing up he was so much easier than the girls. But boy he hit 17 and that all changed. Biggest problem now is that he turned 18 and knows we can't do much about him doing as he wants unless we pack him up and kick him out. In my heart I just can't do that yet.

So for now - enjoy the log cabins!

12 comments from wonderful readers:

Leah Spencer said...

Lovely log cabins! Good choice of color too. :)

Sorry about the teenager... he could go live with my parents, my dad would have no problem putting him to work and threatening to kick him out if he doesn't do what he should... I know cuz all of us kids got the same! :)

(Don't worry, he's not mean or anything, just a firm believer that work comes before play. And that you either need to be working and pay rent or you need to be in college to live at his house. ;))

Unknown said...

Parenting is not for sissys. I had a much easier time with my boys than the girls ... but challenging none the less.(Leah ... I think we have the same dad.) And I did the same with my now 20 year old son: get a job or get a new address. He joined the Army and has a new address, and technically a job too.

Anonymous said...

I've heard from other parents that kids come good after a while of finding their place in the world - keep smiling and chin up! I LOVE the wide border on this quilt - really makes it stand out. Can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darcie said...

Your Liberated Logs are awesome, Dawn!!! How fun! Can't wait to see what you do with that outside border. You're going to keep us in suspense, aren't you!!!

Take deep breaths, Dawn. I'll be thinking about you and your son.

I always try to keep in mind something sort of ironic that my Mom shared with me one day. She's an avid reader of "Reader's Digest." She phoned one day and asked if I wanted to hear a neat quote...it went something like 'Today's young adults are just not like those of yesterday's...' Then she said, "Wanna know who said that? Confucius."

"WOW! He's like...old, isn't he Mom?" ;-)

Lucy said...

OOOHHH MY I LOVE IT.. just with the wide border!! It makes him more maverick.. do you have a closer pic for me from the fabrick.. Good job dawn, very good

Quiltgranny said...

My boy hit the crazies a bit earlier than 17 - ran away to a far away state, became homeless, came back home and started all over again by the time he was 18. The crazies started again, and we were like cindyquilts, get a job or get a new address. 14 years later, he is a wonderful young man, single dad to two kids, and just left the Army after 13 years of service. So ya never know!

Love the liberated log cabins look - how big?

Lucy said...

ps... I wish you all best with your teenage son!! You are in my thoughts

Finn said...

Hang in there Dawn, nothing about life or raising kids is for the fainthearted. Sometimes I wonder if it has to be THIS hard, but you get through it, one way or another. Trust that the Universe if unfolding as it should. I iknow it's hard when so much falls on the parents.

The Liberated Log Cabin is just wonderful..I like your idea of the wide border...you did a great job!! Hugs, Finn

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I'm feeling your pain on the teenage boy thing...boy am I!!

The quilt looks good for what ails you though, doesn't it? I love it! I can't
wait to see what you quilt in those great wide borders!

Bonnie

Lily Mulholland said...

Don't worry your son will come good. My brother was a right monster, but he suddenly turned human again one day. Should I tell you that he was 27 by then? Just don't write him off, even if it takes that full decade. Sorry, didn't mean to depress you :)

You are piecing the backing for your quilt? What colour(s) are you doing? Would love to know more about the difference between your techniques resulting in your choice between machine and hand quilting...

Laura said...

Dawn - I love the liberated log cabin in reproductions, it looks great! I know you will do it justice with the quilting. Hang in there with the teenage boy problems. It eventually gets better.