Friday, May 12, 2006

Just a quick post

Just a quick post this morning to show you I actually got 2 sets of 2 star arms sewn together last night! Woo Hoo! At this rate I'll get Lucy and Bonnie's string star quilt done around ...... ok, after I'm dead! But I love the green setting fabric I bought in Paducah for it and I was proud I got 2 sets of 2 arms done!

This is Lucy's (purple) and Bonnie's (green) quilt I'm talking about.



I also had to tack this on. Judy just finished her GORGEOUS Aunt Betty quilt top. I've done 2 quilts with a similar method so wanted to share those with her below!

This one is all made with Australian fabric my friend in Australia gave me one year for xmas (or my birthday - gee, I forget)! This is my special quilt that I use all winter long, I put a really heavy cotton batting in it and it keeps me nice and warm. I made this one probably about 6 years ago.And then this one I did maybe about 3 years ago for a quilt shop class. It was done all in Kansas Troubles fabrics.

11 comments from wonderful readers:

The Calico Cat said...

Lovely! Do you know the way that Fons & Porter sew them together without "Y" seams? (May/June 2004 has the instructions.)

Judy said...

CLAP!! CLAP!! Give yourself a hand for finishing two of your blocks. I want to make one of these too but I am trying to devise a way to do it with NO inset seams...sewing it in rows. If I get it all figured out, I'll let you know. That color green is perfect, it should turn out to be a very beautiful quilt!

Thanks for posting your pics of your Aunt Betty versions. I had never seen the second layout before and I must say I like it very much!! Both of them really...but I like the idea of the second layout.It uses just the 4 strip from the 1/2 sq. triangle. I saved a copy in a folder that I call "Whole Quilt Inspirations". It's on my desktop and I have tons of quilts in there that others have made to inspire me.

Lucy said...

Maybe there is a way to do them without the y seams. I can't find it. And making the block this way isn't hard at all. It is fun to do. The result is great! And working with the triangle gives a big surprise ! Can't wait to see a lot of these blocks Dawn!

Lucy said...

ps.. I love the quilt made by the kansas troubles farbic !

Tonya Ricucci said...

Yeah, sew it in diagonal rows - no inset seams.(I'm good at figuring out ways to NOT have to do more work)

I love the fabrics you picked - look marvelous. And hurrah! you got a chance to sew.

ForestJane said...

I'd like to see the stars with some sashing between them to separate them a little... :)

And I'd NEVER be as brave as you and do this many set in seams!

Lily Mulholland said...

Wow I've never seen a quilt like that before. That's why I love coming to yours and others' blogs.

And Dawn you are so bashful - is that not an award on your Kansas Troubles fabric quilt?

Darcie said...

Great looking fabs in your Star-in-Progress, Dawn! Nice recent green purchase.

You've got such a great collection of quilts...so much talent!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

The stars look so great!! I love your olivey green background...it looks SO OLD!

Bonnie

Darcie said...

Happy Mother's Day, Dawn!

Quiltgranny said...

Love the green - you are so right - it's perfect!