Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A new blogger!

A new friend of mine Linda has just started blogging! Go visit her blog! I was so excited to see that Laura introduced her to blogging. Now I get to see more of her work. But besides quilting she is a wonder with stories, poems and just words in general. Most of you know words and writing are NOT my thing! But Linda is going to really entertain you - just you wait!

I met Linda in person just about a month ago on my big trip to Paducah with Laura. Linda is a master of organizing a huge group of women and making everything run smoothly and so we all have fun! It was the best trip with a group of women I've ever had! And I didn't really know anyone but Laura - who I had only known for years online but not in person!


The pictures I'm showing you today are of my Liberated Log Cabins from the class I took with Gwen Marston this winter! I'm finally taking the time to quilt it! The white lines are chalk lines and disolvable thread. Those areas are going to be trapunto'd. I know you only need to really sew on the outside of the shapes, but the fabric is so dark and I was afraid the chalk lines would rub off - which they are - so I decided a little extra money for stitching the whole design with the wash-away thread, and the extra time would be well worth the investment.

I'm also going to trapunto the shapes in the blocks that are the same green and one of the browns. I'm really excited about this quilt. It is really turning out fun. Not one I normally would have done, but I'm absolutely falling in love with it! And I had a great time in the class learning to be "FREE"! What a great revalation that was for me. Hope you enjoy the pics. I"ll post my progress as I go along!

13 comments from wonderful readers:

Lois R. said...

I LOVE your liberated log cabins! Are they fun to make or what???

Your color choices are really interesting. Did you just use random scraps, or did you buy the fabric with the intention of using them together? Pink and purple by themselves would have been too sweet, but the browns and greens in there make it so pleasing.

KC Quilter said...

Mmm.. love the liberated log cabins. And lucky you, getting to take a class with Gwen Marston!

Quiltgranny said...

Oh My! Trapunto, dissolvable thread, sigh - how neat this will be when it's done!

Leah Spencer said...

Oh, I'm glad you'll post your progress as you go - I can't quite grasp how trapunto works. :)

Love the border fabric too! But I'm a sucker for anything green. :)

Nines said...

How great!! I like the liberated fun in this quilt! But you know? I can't wait to see the sampler below all finished up! Wow!! Love it! And the hot chocolate is too cute! Makes me look forward to winter- almost. You do such beautiful work.

Tonya Ricucci said...

The top looks gorgeous - very pleasing soft look. I'm so happy for you that you're loving working on this - and you love being FREE. Can't wait to see how the trapunto turns out.

Cher said...

oh I love hearing how excited you are about finishing this quilt-it is looking great and I think your quilting/trapunto ideas are super!

Laura said...

I love how these log cabins turned out and wow aren't you being the little over achiever with the quilting!!! haha It will look wonderful when you are done!

Laura said...

One more thing, Linda is wonderful!!! I can't say enough about her. Thanks for sharing her blog with everyone.

Judy said...

I visited your friends blog...very nice!

The top is wonderful, love the colors and what you have chosen to do for quilting! Can't wait to see how it all comes out!

Samantha said...

Your liberated log cabins are simply wonderful.

Lucy said...

Lovely dawn, a great great pattern too !!

Darcie said...

Your liberation is agreeing with you quite nicely, Dawn! Love the quilting...can't wait to see the finished project. (No pressure intended!)