Sunday, May 28, 2006

No more Graduation Parties until next year!

OK, I"ve survived the weekend I think! I"m exhausted but done! Friday night Emily had a "Last Day of School/We are graduating" party for about 15 of her 8th grade friends. I had 4 of them from 11am till 10pm. The other 11 came for the real party from 4pm until 10pm. I was tired! They had a blast though. They played volleyball, had dancing contests and sat around the fire roasting marshmallows!

Then on Saturday was her Graduation ceremony - at noon. Yup, right in the middle of the day. Then afterwards Holly decided she needed to have all her High School friends over to visit (they are Jr's in college now). So we had more grilling out and laughter in the house.

Then today - Sunday - was the big Emily Confirmation/Emily Graduation/Adam Graduation/Emily Birthday/Memorial Day party. So once again I had a housefull of people and food. But today it got really HOT and humid - about 95 degrees. Wheh. Lots of cold pop was had. But they did play a game of softball anyway.

Tomorrow we have a graduation party for one of Adam's friends - thank goodness I don't have to host that one! Adam doesn't graduation (from High School) until Thurs night. But at this point I"m just happy he is graduating! It wasn't his grades that were the concern - just the "I don't care attitude.

So no more graduation parties until next year for me! Yes there will be another one next year for Jenna from HS.
In the meantime I did finish these really fun applique cdses for 2 friends. I still have to make one for me! But I had to get these 2 made first and as you can see I haven't had much time! The strips underneath the zippers are ultra suede and you thread the thread through it. The ultra suede holds the thread tight enough that it doesn't slip out, but loose enough so you can pull it. So when you want some you just pull on it and cut it to the length you need. It keeps the spools from unraveling and easily lets you see the colors! Isn't it cool?!!! I found the pattern at the Chicago quilt show but didn't have enough money left to buy the pattern. So I had to go in search for it at Paducah and got it there!

OK - I"m going to go crash!

12 comments from wonderful readers:

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm exhausted just READING all that. Congrats on the kids graduating - woohoo.

Fun case - perfect fabric for it.

Ann said...

lol, well, I was going to say just reading your post wore me out, but I see Tonya beat me to it!
Love the cases! And what a neat idea to thread the needle like that. I love it.

Finn said...

Morning Dawn, you definitely deserve a break today...what a marathon you have been running!! I'm sure it made for great memories for the kids, tho, and that's what it is all about...*VBS*

Love your thread cases, and what a perfect fabric!!!!

Shannon said...

Very, very cute case! Would you mind sharing the pattern name? I'd like to make one for my quilting secret sister!

Tracey said...

You've already made 2 so far?!?! Geesh woman....I've only looked over my pattern so far! :oP

Where'd ya get your ultra suede from? I haven't gone "in search of" for it yet.

Congrats to those graduates!

Patty said...

wow, you have been a busy girl ! Love the cases, just too creative : ) The use of the ultra suede is a fantastic idea

Lily Mulholland said...

Thank goodness for the week Dawn - when else would you sleep? LOL

Wow you have been busy. And found enough time to make two thread cases? Good Lord woman!! They're great, what a cool idea. Hope you can find some time to make yourself some :)

ForestJane said...

Neat idea!

And congratulations on all your graduates, it's no small feat to have everyone move up a level and host the celebrations!

Lucy said...

This is so great . I am so lucky I got once from the shopowner as a present the traveller kit from Pat Campbell http://www.patcampbell.com/pages/shopping.html I have all my applique stuff in it and it is lovely !

Judy said...

I'm with everyone else...jeesz, what a weekend! You sound exhausted. I love those cases. There is a lady called Karen kay Buckley that makes them and sells them. Would you think $35 is a good deal? since you know what it takes to make one. I always wondered if it was worth it just to buy a completed one from someone or make my own. Your friends will love them.

Congrats in getting all those kiddies to graduation!

Laura said...

Gosh Dawn reading all you do makes me tired! I don't know how you accomplish everything you do. Congrats to Emily and Adam!

The Lone Beader® said...

Oh- I love this little thread case. I should ask my sister to make me one, since she is the seamstress/quilter in the family...Also, I'm surprised that you could find Ultrasuede at JoAnn Fabrics. The JoAnns here don't have much. I have to go to special fabric stores to get that....