Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Last pictures from Camp....

Yes, when the week comes lately I'm so busy I don't have time to play on blogger! But I did take some time tonight to share a bunch more pictures from camp. There are some awesome quilts and I had to share them with you.

The above quilt one of the ladies worked on during the camp - isn't it fun! The below quilt was Linda's. She made it all from parts and then put the blocks (parts) together with fillers! Exactly how it is explained in Gwen Marston's new book!


My favorite I think was this scrap star quilt! I just love the centers of the stars and I loved the border fabric! I think Linda made this one also. See what happens now when I waited too long to post this! Oh and the red and blue one below it is also Linda's! I thought it was really fun.




This one was a quilt I think Garnet was working on - I LOVE the colors. And the blocks are fairly small, maybe only 4". I really loved it! Oh ok, so I was loving everything.

There was also this really awesome wool matt. I never did figure out who made it. I think it came already done and they just hung it up for decoration.


Mel made this scrap quilt with some FQ's she had bought and saved. The colors were so rich on this one. My picture doesn't capture the gorgeous brown in the background.


And how about these fun string baskets! Linda made these also (I think). I just loved how the strings on them looked. And the handles are so perfectly shaped!


And last but not least was "THE BARN" quilt. Mary and her daughter-in-law Tonya (not our Tonya of wacky letter fame) had made all these barn blocks for Mary's daughter. They spent all weekend sewing blut and white patches and trying to get them all set together. What you don't see here was when they thought they had it all together it was really long and skinny. It just didn't look right. So Laura came to the rescue and figured out how to rip out parts and piece it back together to make it a better bed shape! I say give Laura a hand - Isn't this going to be a treasure. Do I need to say that Mary's daughter loves barns! :)


17 comments from wonderful readers:

Sue said...

They're all pretty, but I really love the star quilt. Camp looks like fun!

Hedgehog said...

Wow!! So many cool quilts - I don't even know where to start commenting!! Wow will do for now!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Very, very fun! Great job in taking so many photos! I just love all the ideas and thoughts I gather from photos in my continuing quest to bust my stash, but also make nice looking quilts while I am doing it! I especially like the look of the string/scrappy quilts you show!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Melanie said...

Beautiful quilts-- thanks for the show.

May Britt said...

WOW..wonderful quilts. You all was very busy this weekend.
One of my favorites here is the little one Garnet has made. Did she make it by machine or by hand. Do you know the name of this pattern and perhaps if it is available on net or as a purchase pattern. This is realy one I can enjoy doing. Looks like a pattern I made some years ago callen "orange peel" It looks a bit similar.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Thanks for the look at more quilts. I'm still jealous that you got to go have all that fun.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I loved reading this and seeing the pictures. The quilt that Mel made has given me an idea for a fabric I bought that is an all-over large scale pattern . . . . Thanks.

KC Quilter said...

Oh, wow, what a great quilt show this morning! Thanks for sharing. I especially love anything with made with strings right now and have been re-reading Gwen Marston's Liberated String Quilts lately.

Darcie said...

Terrific quilt show, Dawn! Lots of inspiration! That little one of Garnet's is darling. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Aren't get-aways the best! So many ideas...so many nearby to lend a helping hand...and make you rip things out and sew them back together! ;-) Well worth it though!

Cher said...

lovely quilts-looks like a very fun and productive time was had by many-retreats or camp are just the best fun.

Tazzie said...

Gosh Dawn, so much eye candy, I wouldn't have gotten anything done there, I would have been drooling over everyone else's projects!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Libby said...

So many quilts to see and admire -- how did you get any work done? They each are so great.

Jeanne said...

Wow -- what a great assortment of scrappy quilts! So much inspiration!
Jeanne

Linda C. said...

Just to clarify, the baskets with crumb piecing and the stars with the crumb pieced centers were both made by Garnet. The red, white and blue stars is my project, and my intent was to demonstrate how one can change the center or corners of a block to get a totally different look. Also, to demonstrate how the formula to cut quarter square triangles from a square by adding 1 1/4 inch to the desired finished size works with any size of scale chose. This top incorporated 6" stars, 9" stars on point, and 12-inch stars.

My Christmas quilt was based upon Judy Hopkins (now out of print) book, "Design your own quilt" published in 1988. She recommended a formula with 25% of the surface to be theme blocks, 50% of the surface to be pieced blocks of 4 pieces or less, and the remaining 25% of the surface to be blocks of 5 pieces or more. It's a great way to work.

Thanks for your kind comments, Dawn. I'm so glad you came to play! Only 49 weeks until the next Retreat!

ForestJane said...

What a lot of pretty eye-quilt-candy! Usually, when I look at a bunch of quilts I'm easily able to pick out the one I like best, that I'd take home if I could... but not this time!

Laura said...

Mary's barn quilt looks even better in the picture, and I don't even remember seeing the first quilt. Hmmmm where was I?

Elaine Adair said...

I am frothing at the mouth -- dashing through your last gorgeous pages you've put up - totes, baskets, cases, quilts .. .I do not even stop to read, at first. What fun to see all your projects. And again, yet another wonderful string quilt! I am in awe of your energy and creativity! And gifts too ... And oh yes, the barn quilt -- what a great idea to put all those different sizes together with the squares. Hedgehog says Wow -- me too --WOW!!!