Sunday, September 24, 2006

Why is my scrap bag of strings growing?

OK, so WHY - may I ask, is my scrap bag of string growing larger if I'm using up strings on quilts? I started these all at quilt camp with Laura and Linda, but just about finished them all this weekend. And if you ask, are some of them different shades of black - yes they are. I was trying to use up all kinds of fabric on these! They will go to the local hospital for children/babies when I"m finally done. The one below with the 2 friendship stars needs 2 more stars yet. And the 2 others below are more baby size.



And because everyone is sharing their fun pincushions I thought I would share mine with you - not that I have that big of a collection! I have a few, but the ones I have I LOVE! The big black chicken one I made and put on a candlestick holder! I love that one! The tiny crow one holding the back was made for me by a friend. It is really cute but tips easy so I don't use it too much. I also got the heart one from a friend. I love the colors on that one and it is light and easy to carry around. But what I mostly use is the pincushion on the bag. I have 2 upstairs for hand sewing and one by my machine. They are so nice since I have a bag for strings and the heavy pincusion to hold it off the edge of the table.

19 comments from wonderful readers:

Silverthimble said...

I love your string quilts! Do you piece your strings on a foundation? If so, do you use paper or fabric for a foundation?

May Britt said...

Haven't you understood this yet LOL When cutting a fabric to pieces it multiplies in you boxes. The more you are using of a fabric the more it multiplies. LOL

Love the string pieced stars.

Sassenach said...

Scrap fabric mates in the dark -- just like hangers.

Wow, those stars really pop!

MARCIE said...

Great strip projects! I started saving strips, so one of these days I will dive in too. You are right--I can't believe how many I have already! The expression"reproduction fabric" comes to mind!

Jeanne said...

I REALLY like the top photo of strings and HSTs! Yeah, like I NEED something else on my TO0Do List!
Jeanne :)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Your string quilts are wonderful - the black really sets the colors off nicely! And - I think the bird pincushion that you made is super cute!!! - Haven't tried the bag pincushions yet... maybe someday when I can leave things out without little fingers snatching them. Nice backdrop for your pincushions too!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Libby said...

Your string blocks are just wonderful. I love all the different ways you have found to set them -- very inspiring. You have a nice set of pincushions and the quilt they are shown on is pretty darned nice, too.

Cher said...

wonderful string quilts- I like them all.

Hedgehog said...

I love all the settings for the strings!

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, those are nice pincushions, so classy :-). The children will be fascinated by your string quilt, the settings are so lively.

Melanie said...

The black fabric with teh scrap string is gorgeous. Really allows the colors to stand out. I love your pin cushions. Everyone is share theirs.I've never had one...just the magnetic holder.
Melanie

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee, string quilts are gorgeous. glad to see you having fun piecing!!!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Your blocks are just beautiful Especially the ones at the top that look something like Roman Stripe blocks. Just lovely.

Lucy said...

OOhh Yes Dawn.. I have the same with the scraps mine is growing too ......

I love the string quilt . they always attract my eyes :-)

ForestJane said...

Ohh, neat pincushions!

I like the quilt they're displayed on too... :)

The stringy stars look great - I'll have to remember that when I start to deal with my own strings.

Darcie said...

I too, love black with an assortment of string-ed quilts. So...now that they're *done*...are they strung quilts? ;-)

I am teaching at a bible camp the end of October...and plan on some string project. I've got lots journaled in pencil and paper...but need to get moving on the real thing!

Lovely collection of pincushions!

Elaine Adair said...

GREAT strings! Love them all! You've been busy since my last visit.

I think those strings are cloning themselves behind your back - I've noticed that also - there are always more. 8-)

Anonymous said...

I love string quilts. I made one, now I'm pondering starting another one, I was thinking in all black and white, and putting a little bit of red in it to make it pop. They are so easy to make.

Beth
Glendora, CA

Laura said...

I love your strings! You get sooo much done! I tell you. I definately don't use my time wisely. I need to start doing better so I can join in on the fun of trying new things and getting them done.