Sunday, August 19, 2007

I forgot how hectic is it for a girl....

I forgot in the last 3 years how hectic it gets preparing a girl for her first year of college! Everything has to be "just right". And this one going off this year is my girly girl - so we have shopped and shopped and shopped! However she is also the one who keeps saying, we can do it later, or is "too busy right now". She also "dinks" when she shops! So of course we have done marathon shopping in the last week! But we are ready - I think! Tuesday morning we head out for Des Moines - the hot spot of the midwest! Maybe things will calm down then? (OK I can dream can't I?)!

I did however manage to make one small quilt top this weekend. It is a Lori Smith pattern which I"m using this year for my LQS "Our Gang" group that I teach once a month. I decided this year to do small quilts and do many techniques. I also thought that maybe people would like a break from the big projects and just do some fun small ones. So the above quilt is September's sample. I like how it turned out. Now just to get it quilted quick so they can hang it up! I used one of those nickel charm packets of fabric to make all the small Broken Dishes blocks.

Wish me luck on the move out to Des Moines! My husband is just hoping to keep Jenna and I from killing each other! :)

23 comments from wonderful readers:

Lucy said...

Your mini is adorable. And you are right it is a gret break between big quilts!

Lucy said...

....and good luck in Des Moines... don't forgot to hit andtique malls on the way home for inspiration:-)

CONNIE W said...

Hopefully life will mellow out soon and you'll be happily stitching away while DD is busy cracking the books and in class.

Patti said...

That's a marvelous little quilt Dawn. I just can't believe how much you get done - I'm sure you must never sleep!

Melanie said...

I wish your daughter luck... Love the quilt pattern and fabrics--- makes me want to be part of "Your Gang".

Karen said...

good luck on Tuesday, Dawn! We keep mentioning how "wierd" it is not to have to pack up a child for college yet another year!
Love the Lorie Smith mini...just adorable, and love the small project idea. Oh to live closer!!
Thanks for sharing.

sossy said...

That quilt is gorgeous! I bought one set of Lori Smith patterns at the Chicago show this year and loved them. I am definitely planning on buying more! I love your color choices in this one! Can't wait to see you at camp!

Carolyn said...

Beautiful quilt! Good luck with the move...I get to do that next year. I'm thinking it will be much more involved to move my daughter than it was to move my son!

Angie said...

That is gorgeous, Dawn! I LOVE those fabrics---what line is the border fabric from? It's a gorgeous fabric! :>

MARCIE said...

Very cute little quilt! Little is sure big right now! Hope all goes well this week taking your darling girl to school.

Diane said...

Dawn, What a good looking little quilt and such great fabrics! My husband just drove 1,600 miles round trip to take my son back for his second year of college.

Quilting Pirate said...

what a great little, beautiful project!

Know the feeling on the college moving...well for boys it might seem easier-dreaded my daughters moving out :D

Nicky said...

What a lovely little quilt, the fabric is so warm and snuggly looking!
Nicky

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love you little quilt. And good luck with your girly girl. Time goes by so fast. She'll be graduating before you know it.

Leigh said...

Beautiful quilt, good luck with the move.

atet said...

Oooh -- hope the move went well and you didn't kill each other! That little quilt is great!

Wendy said...

I know how you feel, it's takes all of your time and energy just to get them out of house for a while.

The Lori Smith mini quilt is a prefect break from a larger quilt, it still takes all the same steps to complete. Very nice!

Kairle Oaks said...

I love your Broken Dishes quilt. Such a simple design, but so striking!

Nan said...

That quilt is gorgeous! I think I'm going to invest in that pattern - thank you for sharing! I would love to know what fabric line you used - it's so very pretty!
I hope the move went well, and there was no blood shed! ;-) She will be graduated before you know it!

Unknown said...

The small quilt is great. You made very good use of that charm pack. Hope the move goes well. Take care.

meggie said...

Lovely quilt!! And good Luck for the trip, & Good Luck to your daughter also.

Journeying said...

Good luck with the move - I bet things are fine.
The quilt is fabulous!!!!

Laura said...

Good luck to Jenna!!!! And to you also mom, I know how hard it will be for you to leave her. Hang in there! Only a couple weeks until we are together again!!!! Love your mini, what a great idea doing the little projects!