Sunday, January 21, 2007

My scrap projects

Here are the 5 scrap projects I started working on last year from the 4" strips I had, but then life got in the way and xmas gifts had to be made! So for the next few weeks I'll get to work on them again! When I tire of them, I'll set them aside and pull them out as I feel like it.

The above blocks will be my Kaliedo quilt. I cut these out first from the 4" strips. These blocks I've been piecing when I get some cut out.


Next I cut out a triangle. I have several triangle quilts I'd like to make along the lines of a 1000 pyramids and similar variations. These I haven't started piecing yet, I"m just collecting the triangles.


Then I cut out the tumblers. Sometimes I get 2 tumblers out of what I have left. These will be a queen size regular tumbler reproduction quilt.


Last but not least from the smaller leftover I cut a 4" x 1.5" strip to make 3" finished 9-patches. At some point in time they will become just a regular 9-patch quilt with the patches alternating with a square of a shirting.


But most fun is the string star quilt I"m making! This is made from 2" strips! Lucy is teaching me how to make it! First you make 2 string arms and one green diamond and she told me I have to have lots and lots of them. I've got 2 made!!! snicker..... But that is what I"m going to work on this coming weekend at my sewing weekend with Laura and Linda at Miss Mary's!!!!!

25 comments from wonderful readers:

Anonymous said...

Talk about getting a lot of mileage from a strip of fabric! Wonderful eye candy for me, thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

I love all your scrappy projects. The string stars on the green are just going to be awesome. Love the tumblers...I must get mine going again. They are so fun. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a great collection of scrap projects you have going right now. Does one 4" strip of fabric give you enough pieces for each type of project? Can you provide some directions for cutting each strip? I think I'd like to try some of those projects.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You take the phrase *works-in-progress* pretty seriously, Dawn! All of your projects are terrific!

Love you new Valentinesse look!

Anonymous said...

I love all your scrap quilts. They are going to be beautiful. I especially like the kalidescope one. You are so industrious! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

these are all fabulous, fabulous scrappy patterns! You will have such fun working on these Dawn...looking forward to seeing how you progress over this year..do keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Magic scrappy blocks! Isn't it fun to just play with whatever we feel like :-)

Anonymous said...

So each one is being made from the scraps of the one above it? Or below it? Which one do you cut first?

Unknown said...

So many different things it made my head spin! - and all looking lovely!

Lucy said...

I LOVE everything !!!

YankeeQuilter said...

I love the fabrics you are using. It must be some pile of 4-inch strips! And I thought I had a lot of works in progress...
Sio

Anonymous said...

It's a great idea to cut different stripes and tumblers from leftovers. Perhaps I should start to reduce my stash like this.....and start collecting stripes and tumblers aso LOL I love your kaledio quilt.

Tracey said...

I can't wait to dig back into my strippy star quilt either. Lucy is such a wonderful teacher. :o)

Dawn, once again, you have inspired me. THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, please stop! You have me hyperventilating! Your fabric choices are fabulous and the designs are very cool! I want to come and play!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, please stop! You have me hyperventilating! Your fabric choices are fabulous and the designs are very cool! I want to come and play!

Anonymous said...

Not a drop of wasted fabric--Wow!!!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, please stop! You have me hyperventilating! Your fabric choices are fabulous and the designs are very cool! I want to come and play!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, please stop! You have me hyperventilating! Your fabric choices are fabulous and the designs are very cool! I want to come and play!

KC Quilter said...

What fun patchwork! That kaleidoscope quilt is so striking, with the light play. Love it.

Anonymous said...

I love them all! Can I come over and play?

Anonymous said...

Me too, I love them all! Can't wait to see them done !

Laura said...

And knowing you, you will have them done before the weekend is over! I remember this green from the car trip home from Paducah, LOL!

Nancy in MT said...

Dawn, you make me want to actually do some machine sewing up my scraps, especially seeing the tumblers, have always wanted to make one, later, Nancy in MT

Anonymous said...

Well, now you've done it -- I want to pull some scraps and get busy making a tumbler quilt. I even have a tumbler template that's been waiting for me for years!
Great projects you have going there. Very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

I love the kaliedo quilt :-D