Wednesday, January 31, 2007

And here it is..... Leavez!

Yes this is a Jan Mullen pattern called Leavez! I love how it turned out. I added the black borders, they were suppose to be a darker aqua in the pattern, but I decided I liked the black better - doesn't it really bring them out!

And I learned a new method this weekend that I put on here. Piping Hot Binding! Well I didn't do the binding but I put piping in between the 2 outside borders, you can just make out the black piping. I love how it looks.

Well here is the website and the tool. It comes with a very detailed and good book for instructions, so even if you don't have someone to walk you through it, the book does a good job. (Book as in about 11 pages with lots of pictures - not tons of pages). You can put piping on with your binding or between borders or blocks like I did. It takes a bit of time but the results are wonderful! Mine isn't perfect, but pretty good for a first try. The hardest part was finding a good foot for doing it. Ideally you would have a piping foot. I tried several different kinds of feet and then found out one of the ladies had a Pfaff machine there who had a piping foot so I borrowed that - what a difference. But certain zipper feet would work as well.

So now you have it!

13 comments from wonderful readers:

Unknown said...

Love it!!!

Lucy said...

Wowow we have this pattern in the shop. It never calls to me.. but seeing it on your blog I can say WOW ....

Melzie said...

that is very very nice :) YOu did a great job. xoxo melzie

Judy said...

Fabulous! I saw that on SImply Quilts I think? Great!

Lois R. said...

I love the black border! Looks great!

Libby said...

The black is a great idea -- I love to find a place for black fabrics *s* The piping sounds like a fun technique. My machine came with several different feet. I don't know what any of them are.

ForestJane said...

Can we have a closeup of the piping, plz? Will it be hard to avoid - for machine quilting?

Even if I don't like lime, it's a stunning quilt. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the black borders - this is a very kewl quilt!

Patti said...

This is a spectacular quilt! Not at all your usual quilt - not my usual either - but then I'm the one who painted her sewing room lime green! The black piping adds the perfect accent. Well done Dawn! I bet it was a ball making this.

Linda C. said...

I heard through the grapevine that your daughter collected a piping foot for you at the LQS! I think that means there is more piping in your future! You'll find you become addicted to it. It was great to spend the weekend with you. How many weeks until Paducah?

Shelina said...

Wow, this is a great quilt too. So nice and colorful.

Jenni said...

Good to see you supporting an Aussie quilter Dawn - your Leavez looks fantastic. I once did piping on a cushion and said "never again", but maybe enough time has passed LOL.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

How bright and fun! Looks great!

Cheers!

Evelyn