Thursday, January 04, 2007

Silly Sewing

Last night I did just a bit of silly sewing. I wanted to make a pouch for my extension cord for my featherweight, so it wouldn't scratch up the featherweight anymore than it is. Not really needed, but just thought it would be fun. I had scraps of pre-quilted fabric from some tote bag samples I made for the shop, so I used that. Above is what it looks like closed.

And here it is with it unbuttoned. No pattern and I did not spend a lot of time making seams straight or any special "look". Just silly sewing!

But I did have a fun pulling my middle daughters leg with it! She is the "blonde one" and sometimes you can really get her going. So when I was turning it inside out, my hand and arm were all the way in it, with it going up past my elbow (the picture is actually even funnier because I later tried to take this myself with only one hand pulled far away from my left arm!). So she asks "What is that?" and of course she gives me "that look". I said - it is an over mitt. She says "it is not", but she only looks slightly skeptical. I said "yes it is, see it goes all the way up the inside of your arm so you don't burn yourself here". She say "no its not, is it?". She is almost believing me now, but thinking I"m TOTALLY STUPID! I said "yes, it is an oven mitt, I always burn myself on that inside part of my lower arm taking things out". By this time she has that look of "what a dork you are, and how stupid you are to make that". But more "I can't believe you burn yourself taking something out of the oven"! I tried to keep a straight face but by that time I just lost it. Oh well, so much for pulling her leg!

12 comments from wonderful readers:

Anonymous said...

Well really...that is not a bad idea!!! The oven mitt part, I mean.

Darling little extension cord pouch. That's not a bad idea either! It could be a fun little ice-breaker for the first night of a retreat. A big one, perhaps? One could make a pouch for that extension cord that one should just keep in one's traveling tote...so one does not ever forget it again!!! (Are you reading between the lines?! I always forget one!)

Anonymous said...

What a clever bag!! And Darcie's right, not a bad idea at all for an oven mitt!! :D I keep meaning to ask, and I keep forgetting LOL the name of your shop? Do you have a website? :)

Anonymous said...

I have learned that if you say something with conviction, you will be believed. I have had a lot of fun with this *s* Love the bag, it looks great and it's so much fun to have 'cute' accessories to take with you when you go to class, retreat, etc.

Rae said...

cord pouch --- what a great idea.

You must have fun with your blond to the bone daughter.

Anonymous said...

I need one for my camera cord! Now if only I could find the cord!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of the cord pouch and with a new Featherweight I'll have to make one for myself. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I would say you are a genius. An oven mitt that doubles as a cord bag, or is it a cord bag that doubles as an oven mitt? I love the bag. I need to make one for me.

Anonymous said...

What fun . . . I am going to plan an evening of silly sewing - what a grand idea!

Your quilts are beautiful - thanks for stopping by to visit my blog.
all the best, Renée

Carol E. said...

Funny story. Clever bag/oven mitt. Silly sewing is such fun!

Anonymous said...

Dawn you are a nutter! But what a good idea and it's fun to do a bit of silly sewing from time to time!!

You sound like you've got a great relationship with your daughter - long may it last!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I love that kind of silly sewing - that's why I've made so many gift bags. Very fun.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, shame on you with your oven mitt... lol

I grew up with three big brothers and got tricked out of a LOT before I learned not to be so gullible. :)