Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Secret Project is Revealed

I finally get to share my secret project with you! I've been waiting now for over 3 months to share this! But I was making it for my best quilting friend here at home, but she reads my blog - so I didn't dare post it!

She has had a really hard year. Both her mom and dad were dying of cancer and she started traveling to Florida to visit and help take care of them. I guess her trips started around April, but she flew back and forth. But by summer she was down there during the weeks with sporadic trips back home on weekends. By September she was down there full time. It has been a really hard year for her. Her dad passed in September and her mom just passed New Year's Eve.

Anyway, I wanted to so much to do something for her, but there wasn't much I could do, so I started a comfort quilt for her in Sept. I collected blocks from her internet and local friends. They applique'd a heart or star on the block and then signed it. I put them together in a quilt and then added Tonya's letters for a message around the border! Doesn't it look great. But let me tell you - that was enough free form piecing for me for awhile!!!! :) I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks, but that doesn't mean he doesn't get tired!

One of you posted this saying on your blog around Sept/Oct and I"m so sorry I don't remember who it was. I think you said you painted it on a sign? Anyway, it was so perfect for the saying on the quilt I had to use it. The original saying went
"Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them but you know
that they are always there".
So I placed the words around the border
"Good friends are like stars..... you know they are always there"
And then placed on the back the middle of the saying (minus a few words - I burned out on letters!)
"you don't always see them but"

She got her quilt in the mail yesterday and just LOVED it! She was so surprised and I think shocked! She is seeing friends this weekend and can't wait to show them. I was so happy to hear happiness in her voice after such a long hard year on her! It was so good to hear a touch of excitement and pleasure.

One the home front I totally finished off the folk art pineapple quilt and remembered that I had never shown you the back! I used all the left over triangles to piece a strip on the back! Isn't it fun!

27 comments from wonderful readers:

Unknown said...

Dawn - your poor friend, what a hellish year! and how lovely to have a loving caring friend like you - I'm so glad she liked it, a wonderful gesture and you made such a super job of it

Rae said...

The comfort quilt is such a lovely idea.

Anonymous said...

The quilt for your friend is great. I can imagine how much she loves it. After such a traumatic year, she needed you, and you were there for her. How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful thing you've done for your friend - bet she feels loved!

Anonymous said...

Dawn no wonder your friend was so happy to receive the quilt - you did a marvellous job!

And well done on the pineapple quilt. It's so nice to finish! (I can say that now, having completed two whole cot quilts LOL)

Anonymous said...

Dawn I love your pineapple quilt and the back is great...I love doing different stuff on the back...it's always a surprise. The quilt for your friend is just wonderful. She is a lucky girl to have such a good friend.

Anonymous said...

Nice quilt, what a great gift for a friend who has been through so much!

Anonymous said...

You're such a caring friend, Dawn. What a story!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, Lynn's quilt turned out beautifully. I think it meant the world to both of you, and am glad it brought her some happiness after all her sorrows. What a good friend you are. Love the shop sample and the coin quilt. Now I want to burrow in my scraps and do one too! Sure looks fun (and easy!)

Anonymous said...

Dawn, that little saying came from my blog! it was on a little sign that someone gave to me after I had surgery! I am thrilled that it inspired you to make such a fabulous quilt for your friend.


it gave me goosebumps that something from my little corner of CT reached way over to you and then to your friend in Florida. Here's to the Power of Quilters!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sure she will love this quilt. It is so beautiful. You are a true friend doing this for her.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dawn ... what a wonderful quilt -- full of love and good wishes. Your friend must have felt it coming from the package before she even opened it *s*

Tonya Ricucci said...

Marvelous sweet thoughtful gift. You did a great job with that quilting too.

Patti said...

What's not to love! What a wonderful friend you are to have organized this. I still wish it has worked out that I could have put a block in it also. It turned out perfectly - especially the words. Is Lynn finally home or is she still in Florida settling her folks affairs? I sure wouldn't want to be that close to that 'gator!

Patti said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow, Dawn! I am catching up on your blog, having been gone a while, and WOW is all I can say! The quilt for your friend is awesome! You did a great job with the letters and the whole design process. Also the applique quilt is darling and I lvoe your scrappy coins. I really want to do those! Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

I love your 'good friends' quilt! It works so well together the blocks from friends and the free pieced quotation! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is fabulous and the quilting is to die for. What a great friend you are. She has been through the mill, but she will gain pleasure from snuggling into this.

Anonymous said...

what a nice friend you are! i love the pieced back! I did one on the only quilt I have ever entered in a show..and got a comment "Pieced back a nice surprise" I'm HOOKED now!

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE the words on your quilt! Your pieced backs are great too :-)

Anonymous said...

A comfort quilt is a wonderful gift! And what a wonderful job you did getting all those different colors to play so nicely together! The finished product with the saying (all those wonky letters!) is great.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a good friend you are. :) And what a perfect quote for that quilt!

I like having 'you don't always see them' on the back, where you don't see it... great idea! I'm sure the time you spent doing this will be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

You're such a wonderful friend Dawn, and I know your quilt will be much appreciated.
Have a great weekend
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Anonymous said...

That was such a nice thing to do for your friend. I'm sure she really appreciated it and when she is feeling down she can look at this and know that she is loved.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful quilt and a wonderful friend you are.
(And if blogger gives me one more problem I'm going to throw this computer into the trash! vbg)

Catherine said...

I love the oversize borders/ letters and that the message continues onto the back. Really nice looking!! Great work.

Laura said...

Dawn - I love, love, love this quilt. You did such a fantastic job!