Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My version of thready's!

OK, so I'm just not as creative as Tonya - and can't draw for anything! But over the holidays I did work on my version of a thready! Actually it is called punch needle and originated in Russia long, long ago. It is like miniature wool rug hooking! Main difference (besides the size) is that wool hooking you hook from the front and punchneedle you punch from the back.

In reading about the history of it I found out that actually Egyptians were one of the earliest users of this technique, found on the Woolen Whimsies website.
"Miniature punchneedle embroidery has been around for a very long time. Ancient Egyptians were among the first to use this technique, by using the hollow bones of birds' wings as needles. The technique was used throughout Europe during the Middle Ages, often to elaborately decorate ecclesiastical clothing and panels. In modern times, it has been associated with embroidery work done by Russians, particularly immigrants belonging to a religious sect called "The Old Believers" who settled in the United States in the early 1900's."

Anyway, this is one of 2 punchneedles I finished over Christmas. It is going to be a gift for a friend in France - yes I'm mailing my international Christmas gifts late - I just wasn't organized this year. Besides, the punchneedle stuff was my Christmas gift to myself so I couldn't open it until Christmas! If your wondering - the punched part of this is only 2" x 3"! So it is small!

4 comments from wonderful readers:

Finn said...

Very neat Dawn, looks like you..*VBS* As always, great job!!

Catherine said...

Very nice. I am dying to try this...just haven't gotten the tools yet. Walmart quit selling them and I don't want to buy a fancy version just yet.

Tonya Ricucci said...

It's wonderful - I love it. Is that wool strips punched through or yarn? I'd have never have known how tiny this piece was if you hadn't mentioned it. Very sweet - your friend will love it.

Darcie said...

Oh Dawn! Your little willow and house piece is fabulous!

I hate to admit that I have had a kit...ready to begin...and just haven't yet. No excuse either! My sister's quilt store is very big on punching...and she gave me a nice punch.

Love your history lesson, too. Thanks for sharing that!